is there a post op driving restriction?

Twi light
on 7/9/11 4:08 am - NY
I dont see one anywhere in my post op literature and i do not recall anything being mentioned by Pomp but i will assume there is one.
Kayla B.
on 7/9/11 4:22 am - Austin, TX
You need to be off narcotic pain meds.  10-14 days is about it, usually.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
callmeEJ
on 7/9/11 5:25 am - Minneapolis, MN
My doc's restriction for driving was having to be off of the narcotic pain meds for at least 12 hours.
-EJ
"If television's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who won't shut up." -cat and girl

5'6" HW 325 / SW 317 / CW 214 / First Goal 190    |    Century Club 09/19/2011
Twi light
on 7/9/11 5:30 am - NY
I have taken narcotics various times in my life , for back pain , c section, etc. and have driven, is this just a doctor preference or is this illegal? Am i actually not allowed to legally drive while taking narcotics?  i am getting paranoid now b/c i take them for back pain on and off.
airbender
on 7/9/11 5:40 am
you are not to be driving with narcotics as they interfer with judgement calls, not just sleepy etc.  I drove 4 days PO, but I also did not take anything besides tylenol OTC w/NO narcotics,if you are n a car accident, and  if you have a drug test and your test + for opiates (narcotics) you will be in a world of problems, just don't drive.....
Paula R.
on 7/9/11 6:21 am - Portland, OR
You can actually get charged with a DUI (driving under the influence) in some states if you are stopped by law enforcement and are operating your vehicle while taking even legally prescribed pain medications. 
My signature is in the witness protection program

Twi light
on 7/9/11 7:07 am - NY
but one would have to give probable cause to be pulled over, meaning one would have to actually be intoxicated from the medication, if you are not actually intoxicated and acting intoxicated they can not just random blood test you, there would have to be probable cause for that as far as i understand
lisarn
on 7/9/11 2:51 pm - Omaha, NE
Have you ever heard of an accident? Where someone else hits you and you are not at fault? In that case, if they checked blood levels, you would be so busted. If there are any injuries at all, most places will check blood levels on EVERYONE driving, whether it's your fault or not. 
I tell ALL my patients to not drive if they have narcotics.
But I get what your saying. There are tons of people who have chronic pain and take narcotics so they can just function without pain. I am sure that tons of them drive. Plus there are so many people who drive after having "just one" drink. You never know who is driving with what in their system out on the road. If one of patients indicates that they are going to be driving, I always ask them where and when they are driving, so I can tell my kids to stay clear of that area. They are usually very shocked when I say that!

HW/SW/CW/GW:   294/288/170.2/150  ht: 5'2" (06/03/2012)

adkmtngirl
on 7/9/11 9:22 am - Brant Lake, NY
 I was about a week out before I drove, and that was only because I had to pick a sick child up from school and there was nobody else who could do it for me. Luckily I had only taken regular tylenol, but when I got home 20 minutes after I left, I took my 'good' pills. 
Kristina

Twi light
on 7/9/11 10:25 am - NY
So do most of you "feel" the percocet as a lot more than just the pain relieve? i hear people talking about being loopy but that is just not me, i often do not even get pain relief from 10mg of percocet, thats why to me this restriction seems unnecessary unless of course the dose was significantly outside of a regularly prescribed pain relieve dose.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 121 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 663 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views