Labs: what needs light protected?

ann M.
on 7/12/11 1:12 am - Northern, VA
Sorry. I should know this... Is it vit K and A that are light protected. I'm not at my usual lab, so not real confident.

Thanks

SW / BMI / SIZE:  312 / 49.5 / 26-28W         CW / BMI / SIZE:  159.1 / 25.1/ 10-12 
I need to lose about 2 more pounds for a normal BMI .  I still seem to be slowly losing at over 2 yrs out...so may get there yet.

beemerbeeper
on 7/12/11 2:40 am - AL
I've been told by people who should know and whom I trust that nothing has to be light protected during the blood draw.  Some are light protected as they process them but during the draw nothing has to be. 

So I relaxed and quit worrying about it.

~Becky

ann M.
on 7/12/11 3:08 am - Northern, VA
Becky,

That's exactly what they told me at the lab.  They input my order, and the computer generated what vile they used to put the blood in.  The tech said that the coded viles would tell them how to process.

Thanks.

SW / BMI / SIZE:  312 / 49.5 / 26-28W         CW / BMI / SIZE:  159.1 / 25.1/ 10-12 
I need to lose about 2 more pounds for a normal BMI .  I still seem to be slowly losing at over 2 yrs out...so may get there yet.

Lisa A.
on 7/12/11 2:57 am - Windsor, NY
I know at my lab they light protect the vial they draw for my Vitamin D.

beemerbeeper
on 7/12/11 3:34 am - AL
It isn't necessary for D at all.  They light protect A and some others when they process them but it isn't necessary to light protect them during the blood draw according to some lab experts here on OH whom I have asked.

~Becky

GloryG
on 7/12/11 4:53 am
A,K, Folate, E, and some of the Bs need to be light protected once processed. They can get drawn into a transparent tube and once spun down and the serum separated, they have to put the serum in an amber vial or else covered with foil. Some phlebotomists will draw into an amber vial, but that is not necessary because it is not the whole blood that needs to be protected but the serum once it is spun in a centrifuge. And for those that don't know I own a lab business www.anylabtestnowdurham.com and this is coming right from the 832 page Quest manual. I hope this helps!!
-BabyCatcher-
on 7/12/11 5:32 am - CA
Hi Glory,
What does the Quest manual say about these D tests?

VITAMIN D 25 HYDROXY
VITAMIN D 1 25 DIHYDROXY
VITAMIN D 1 25, D3
VITAMIN D 1 25, D2

And since there are other labs out there besides Quest (although I very much like and respect Quest), is it possible that other labs are processing differently and might require light protection?
Thanks!
BabyCatcher
Destined to be an old woman with no regrets!
Frostbite25
on 7/12/11 12:40 pm, edited 7/12/11 12:40 pm
 That is pretty cool that you own your own lab business!.. Wish I was in NC, I have been looking for work as a phlebotomist Teeeheheee :)

WLS: Total lost 260 lbs - 03/14/11 Duodenal Switch with Dr. Mitchel Roslin
PS: 02/10/14 LBL w/ Anchor cut, Long Thigh Lift, Arm Lift, Breast Lift with Dr. Francisco Sauceda

Dr. Sauceda's Patient Group - Click here to Join

GloryG
on 7/12/11 1:15 pm
 Thanks! I have an opening on Saturdays!
ann M.
on 7/14/11 2:16 am - Northern, VA
Thanks for this post!  Very informative.  I appreciate it.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 264 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 740 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 248 views