How many of us have had to/need to be revised from the "Band"?

Zee Starrlite
on 7/12/11 3:20 am
Please, put your hand up!!!  Let those who are considering having their first WLS know that we believed in this procedure wholeheartedly. We did not have the advantage of seeing all the failure that is put before their very eyes today.

Let the pre-ops considering the Band know that we tried the Band with every fiber of our being and it DISAPPOINTED. Even while we embraced the band and denied ourselves the right of the device having failed us.  We blamed us for having failed once again.  What a horrific burden to carry.

My surgeon says the thing about the band is "it's easy to sell".  That makes me weep inside because everything I had in me believed the band  would change my life.  It did, then just like a rug pulled from underneath with no warning, you go crashing losing everything you thought you gained - landing on ground so broken and shattered that you may feel reluctant to trust that solidity exist again.

My surgeon also said now your quality of life will be so much better with the sleeve - the Band is a hard life.  Every single day as I heal and get stronger, I know this is true.  There is hope for us that go crashing and feel as if we lost it all. My hope for you is that you avoid the crashing by not being lured into what is easy to sell.

3/30/05 Banded

8/10/05 New port, the first one never worked

12/20/10 Band removed - Esophageal Dilation with no resolve -   NO, I didn't stuff my pouch, my esophagus stopped working effectively due to the high pressure the band creates.

6/6/11 Sleeved! 

With love,
Laylah

Reply here:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4424289/How-many-of-u s-have-had-to-need-to-be-revised-from-the/

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

DotNetLee
on 7/12/11 10:22 am - TX
I was revised to the DS from the band on 6/29/2011.  I had the band put in in March '05 and lost about 40lbs before putting it all back on.  I never really felt the restriction that I expected with the band, even when it was full.  Now I'm not quite 2 weeks out from the revision and I'm already down 26lbs.  Gotta love it!

prettypixels
on 7/12/11 11:59 am
I'm planning to be. The Failed Lap Band board is a great resource too!
glendaaus1
on 7/12/11 12:16 pm - Canada
 This is my first post on this board.  I had a lapband done in Australia in 2003 and lost about 100lb which I have since put back on about 95 of.  The last unfill I had done the doc said my fluid was rusty - but now about 2.5 years later I have pain around the port.

Long story stort, my family doctor sent a referral to a surgeon in this province (currently resident of Alberta Canada) and I have heard nothing, and I have called with no specific information being given.

I want to get the band out and am thinking about ds.  One main reason is because I now I have type 2 diabetes and I have read the ds is great for helping with this.  I have about 120lb to loose, so I am sure thats will be OK.  I contacted a surgeon in Montreal who is ringing me this week.

If that doesn't seem to work, I am waiting on information from my insurance company, but maybe the government insurance will pay - as this surgery is not available in this Province.  I may just get a loan and go to Mexico - I think I need this sooner than later because of the pain.

I always wished the band had worked - but we are all so different.  If anyone has anything that could help me - I would appreciate it.

Glenda

Glenda   -  I'm my own personal party!

Waiting for revision to DS 2011  (failed lapband Sydney Australia 2003)

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 360 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 134 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1050 views