NSV Flyball

beemerbeeper
on 7/12/11 5:57 am - AL
I started a new dog sport (flyball) in March of this year and this weekend competed for the second time with my two year old Border Collie Vamp.  These competitions are exhausting, both mentally and physically and there is NO WAY I could have done this 120+ lbs ago.

The second main reason I wanted to get the DS and loose the weight was to become a better sports partner to my girl Vamp.  I have to report to everyone that I am SUCCEEDING!! (The first reason I wanted the DS was to avoid the TTD that killed both my normal weight parents.)

Vamp earned her title for 1000 points at this tournament and helped her team win first place in our division.  I was able to help other people walk their dogs, load their cars, and "ball shag" which requires bending over and picking up the small balls that the ball shagging cage won't pick up.  Not to mention racing my girl, hauling my own crates and junk, walking my own dog (we had to do a flight of stairs to get to the potty area) multiple times per day, deal with the heat, etc...

Thank you to everyone here on OH who has helped me so much on this journey.  My goals have been reached and I am concentrating on maintaining my loss (my BMI is 21.7) and on helping other people who are starting their own journey with the DS.

I love my DS.

~Becky

Julie R.
on 7/12/11 6:39 am - Ludington, MI
 So glad you had a successful weekend, Becky (and a successful post-op life!)
How'd your meatballs go over?
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Northcountrygirl
on 7/12/11 10:17 am
Becky,  I know how exhausting fly ball can be.  I love to watch it.  What a great sport to enjoy with our four legged friends.  I am so happy that you are able to compete successfully.  What a dream come true for you.  I want to applaud you for your achievement.  Congratulations, you deserve it.   Melissa   

teachmid
on 7/12/11 10:20 am - OKC, OK
Becky,
It sounds like it was a very successful weekend!
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

honeybadger 11
on 7/12/11 4:37 pm - FL

That is really incredible Becky! i cant wait to be able to do that much activity! I also choose the DS becasue after the failure of the lapband i wanted something that is proven very effective! my hubby and i are quite active but i do think of all the more i could be doing if i wasnt carrying around an extra 160lbs!!!

Thanks for the continued inspiration!! jen

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

~Janis ~
on 7/13/11 1:44 am
Becky,

Sounds like much fun!

Janis
Chad M.
on 7/13/11 2:29 am - Indianapolis, IN
Congratulations! Sounds like a load of fun. I have been to a flyball demonstration and I think one of my dogs could be good at it, but it seems like something you really need to invest a lot of time in to do it right.
beemerbeeper
on 7/13/11 3:08 am - AL
I didn't start any training in flyball until March this year.  So it didn't take Vamp very long.  But she had spent her whole life being trained and going to competitions so she had the foundation and knew how to learn.

For a dog with no training it certainly could take a while.  A Westie that is running with us has been being traiined for over a year.  He's doing great but it did take a long time.

A lot of people think that a dog who likes to play ball would like to play flyall but there is a big difference between chasing a moving ball and racing to get a stationary ball. 

The first step in all dog sports is basic obedience classes.  If your dog has walking on a loose leash, sit,down, stay, and come down they can progress to a lot of different sports.  The most popular dog sport by MILES is agility and any dog can play that game with some training.

Dog sports develop human-canine relationships to a level you can't understand unless you've lived it.

~Becky

CharleeG
on 7/13/11 4:26 am - Jonesboro, AR
Go Becky & Vamp!!! You're amazing. *mwah*

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 364 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 137 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views