I am a (100 &) 93 pound weakling. Kirmy/ Kayla need help!

ModestoK
on 7/14/11 6:45 am
I've been going to the gym consistently the last week or so, and am adding weight training to my cardio.   Unfortunately, I seem to have lost all of my strength!!!   I tried to bench press a mere 60 pounds, and couldn't do more then a couple of reps.  Even sadder, I could only do a few more just using the 45# bar by itself.  Yikes!

Perhaps part of it was that I hadn't had enough protein that day and then tried it after an hour of cardio, but damn, I'm now a weakling!   I confirmed this by doing bicep curls at 15 pounds - 2 sets of 15 and I could only do 45# on the fly press machine (from which I'm still sore 2 days later).  So, so sad.  I'm not aiming for being cut, but I do enjoy being a strong woman who can kick ass when necessary!  

I need help from some of you amazing weight training ladies - what exercises do you suggest for me to ease back into weight work?  I'm still able to leg press 200 pounds, 3 reps of ten so at least my thighs still have some muscle.   I know I need to add some squats because my butt is starting to slide down my thighs but what I really need suggestions on is my upper body. Anyone?
 I now basically have 4 boobs - two where they should be and one on each side under my armpits; they are the same size.  I wonder if I should design a special bra...
All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Kim
                                      ~  Kim  ~

HW - 283        SW - 257.5     Goal - 156
Thanks to all the DS vets who have paid it forward - I <3 you guys!  
Looking for DS support & information?   Check out :     http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

KarenFlorida
on 7/14/11 7:07 am - Orlando, FL
LOL on the special bra...I'll take one!

Karen
Join me! weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

adkmtngirl
on 7/14/11 7:39 am - Brant Lake, NY
 How frustrating, I'm sure I will find the same problem when I go back to the gym next week. I have to wait until at least Tuesday before I am allowed to start lifting again. I think my only saving grace is going to be that I've been lifting my two boys (aside from the past 3 weeks since my hernia repair) who are each around 40 lbs all winter, sometimes both at once. That being said, I used to be able to bench press 120 lbs, and I can guarantee I won't be seeing that for a long time. And my legs... I could press 320 lbs easy, not so anymore I am sure, nor ever again. 
Kristina

Kayla B.
on 7/14/11 6:55 pm - Austin, TX
LOL...girl you are lifting more than I can.  My muscles are for show.

I've never benched more than the bar!  And my bicep curls are done with a 20 lb barbell.  I can do a 30lb barbell but I can only do a few reps.

You'll be sore after workouts for only a few weeks.  You are just deconditioned and that gets a lot better as long as you keep at it.

Only advice is to keep at it and do a variety of exercises to hit every muscle group, and don't forget your back and shoulders.

For the side boobs, make sure to get a bra with a wide and sturdy band.  This is rarely found at Victoria's Secret.  I only have 2 bras from that store than I can stand, and they are both totally unlined cotton.  Lace is pretty and all...but it doesn't do crap for the armpit boobs!

Good luck!  Growing muscles will change your body so much...it is VERY satisfying!
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
kirmy
on 7/14/11 11:41 pm - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Oh honey welcome to my Muppet armed world!  I have little Kermit the Frog arms that wobble like a jenga block when I lift over 10kgs barbells. The trick is to start small and listen to your body.  I love traditional free weights and tend to spot train even though it is laughable with my little wobble arms.

I started with 3kg, 4kg and 7kg barbells and do fly's, bicep curls, triceps dips and pec decks etc etc .  As my muscle mass SLOWLY VERY ******G SLOWLY increases I've upped my weights to 5kg, 6kg and 9kgs...rinse and repeat. And onwards and upwards!  The idea is to work your muscles in sets of 15, 8 then 5 increasing your weight as you go.  By the last set of 5 you should be using all that you have to lift that weight until you simply can't.  That is the trick!!

Now I won't lie to you results will be very very slow in coming.  You'll need to seriously eat and drink large volumes of protein to not gobble up your existing muscle mass (we are hot wired to do that I reckon).  Still my arms are rail thin but now I'm seeing some shoulder definition, some pecs, and God help me a bicep or two.  It isn't much to crow about but I'm getting there.  Also the bummer or blessing I suppose is that it has fired up my metabolism again and I've started to drop a few lbs again.  This wasn't what I planned but I have at least 8kgs of buffer weight so I'll not call out the National guard yet. 

Now as for the **** load of weight you can STILL shift...*****! You are light years ahead of me.  I guess you didn't eat all your muscles like I did which is awesome for you.  I suggest you keep your reps low (15,8,5) and up your weights.  Loads of high weights and high reps aren't going to give you the same results. 

Go forth and grunt!

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
ModestoK
on 7/15/11 4:30 am
Huff, huff, grunt. 
I make the ugliest faces when I'm working out!

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies.
Kayla - if those amazing arms are all for show, then I am even more jealous of your amazing phyisce. 

Kirmy-  I shall try your suggestions on the increasing weights/ decreasing reps. 
Actually I did lose a bunch of lean muscle mass.  I started off at my pre-op appointment a strong 137 pounds of lean mass - was down to 114 after my first couple of months.  I've managed to get it back up to 120 pounds last checkup and will hopefully have added a few more when I go back for my 6 month checkin on August 1st.  We shall see.
You my dear, are not a Kermit.  More like Animal, but let's hope with less facial hair.

Kim
                                      ~  Kim  ~

HW - 283        SW - 257.5     Goal - 156
Thanks to all the DS vets who have paid it forward - I <3 you guys!  
Looking for DS support & information?   Check out :     http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

kirmy
on 7/16/11 3:22 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
I've got "tweezerman" so I'm ok pet...stillll there is a slight 5 o'clock shadow!

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 361 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views