Out 2 weeks and eating?

geutenmorgan
on 7/15/11 3:38 pm
I had the surgery 2 weeks ago.  I am suppose to be on "soft foods", which I normally am eating cottage cheese, oatmeal, cheese, but I am noticing I have an aversion to canned meat, so I am eating regular ham, chicken, beef, just chewing it really good.  Is this okay?  I only had one incident where the turkey was too dry and when I swallowed it it got stuck.  I thought a small drink of water would help and I guess it did, because it helped it come right back up.  Other than that... I seem to be handleing it okay.  SO is it okay?  
Just wondering anyone elses experience. 
I finaly found a protein drink I like it is called Body Advantage from Walmart.  It takes me forever to drink, but when I am done, it is 24 grams of protein.  I can only handle one drink a day.  I am working on my liquids... It takes FOR..EEEE...VERRRR. to drink anything, and it always ends up room temp, which makes me gag.  Sipping all day, but forget when I get busy with house stuff/ kid stuff.  Trying to gag down the mulit vit and the horse pills of Calcium is not my favorite, but I signed up for it, so I am doing it.  I am also still giving my self blood thinner shots for 2 more days.  I will be glad when that is over. I haven't had much pain if any.  I took pain meds more to sleep well and not in position pain, but haven't needed it 4 days now.  Still slow in walking and bending.  Not lifting my baby, which is a challenge, but glad to have helpers. Over all a great experience.  Total though lost 20 lbs. Yeah!  My hubby is calling me the incredible shrinking woman. :) Not that I notice that much, just a few little things like my fingers aren't quite as fat, my ring is loose. ;)
There is my update.  Here's to the DS and loving it.
CAN!!  by Rick Hoyt     
StephOinAZ
on 7/15/11 3:47 pm

I am still pre-op so I don't have any info on your questions...but thanks for the update!  I like reading this sort of stuff pre-op.  I saw a post earlier that was for a water bottle that doesn't sweat or get warm, keeps drinks cold all day.  If anyone else knows which post it is hopefully they'll link it for you.  It was a few days ago I think. 

Glad to hear you're doing good!  :)

(deactivated member)
on 7/15/11 4:49 pm
Not sure of the post it was in but this is the website for the bottles:

http://www.flylady.com/pages/FlyShop_swb.asp
StephOinAZ
on 7/15/11 7:06 pm
That was the one!  Thanks :)
elixir
on 7/15/11 4:03 pm - MI
The dietitian at my surgeon's office instructed us to wait four weeks before we began eating meat and even then only chicken or turkey and deli meats (like deli sliced ham). She said that beef is very hard for our bodies to digest and it's not on the list of things to reintroduce until week six. I can't recall where cheese was on the list, but it was either four or six weeks. Definitely not week two.

I'll be honest, I think two weeks is a bit early to begin eating meat again. We only get one chance to heal and should take things slowly. I know it stinks not eating meat or being able to chew things. I'm five weeks out and I struggled/suffered through the soft foods too. Your body is healing. Be nice to it. Stick w/the soft foods a bit longer, unless your surgeon has instructed you otherwise.

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

Jeff Z.
on 7/15/11 6:40 pm - Canada
DS on 06/05/12
 I have to agree with "elixir", allowing your new stomach and digestive tract to heal is your best option.

I was extremely cautious when I began reintroducing meat into my diet and I honestly stuck to the soft food phase a few weeks longer to be certain I had allowed my stomach ample time to heal.  

While you may assume you can tolerate solid foods whether they are thoroughly chewed you have to remember that the stomach vibrates to help break up the food in the digestion process.  This can cause problems along the seam if you begin eating foods too soon before you've healed.

I was only a liquid diet for over a month prior to surgery and then spent almost a month afterwards on it before progressing so I know how boring it can be.

HW: 750  ConsultW: 735  SW: 701  CW: 395  GW: 235 
App: January 2009  re-App: March 2009... OHIP suspends DS, works on proposal with Cleveland Clinic  Surgery: October 8th 2009  (8 month process)
Revision to DS on June 5th, 2012.

AllieInOntario
on 7/15/11 10:44 pm
Go with what your body tells you.. I can tolerate chicken and bacon and shaved ham - but dont' want to even smell hamburger.  I tried it in a mushy meat loaf... got stuck, hurt,...  I've been nibbling on Baby Bel cheese since week 2.

As for drinking .. yeah,... we're all pretty much surprised how hard it is to get that much liquid into us.  Get some kind of insulated cup.   Im using a pretty decent coffee cup and I load it up with ice before putting my liquid in.

Taste buds right now demand everything extra spice and extra sour.  My Lemon/Lime Crystal Lite - I'm adding a very good amount of plain old lemon juice - just to take out the sweet taste.  Experiment until something tastes good to you.
Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

(deactivated member)
on 7/15/11 11:51 pm
Sorry to be a nag, but you really need to follow Dr. Stewart's directions.  Meat is NOT a soft food by any stretch of the imagination.  Right now, you should be focusing on getting in fluids and protein shakes.  Your suture line needs to heal, and eating meat won't allow it to heal properly.  You didn't mention it, but hopefully you're taking some sort of PPI.  That will help keep stomach acid at bay so the suture line can heal, too.  You also didn't mention which vites, so I'm assuming you're taking the ones Dr. Stewart "gives" you.  I suppose those are fine for now, but they most likely won't be enough long term.  If you haven't already, check into Vitalady's vites and vite schedule.  As for the shakes.....can you try making half of a shake at a time?  That way, it's not so much to drink at one time, and it won't get warm on you.  I found, early out, that half servings worked for me, and allowed me to drink more shakes throughout the day.  Right now, your "job" is to drink, walk, and rest.  The yummy meats and foods can and will come later.  I learned the hard way that just because my incision sites were healing nicely, did not mean that the incisions on the inside were healed.  Take it slow and easy, and you'll get there.
Elizabeth N.
on 7/16/11 3:05 pm - Burlington County, NJ
It is MUCH too soon for you to be pushing those kinds of foods. Back off the meat and stick to genuinely soft foods. Eggs are soft. Meat is not.

Besides, what you need at this point is HYDRATION. Push fluids over food. You can live without food for a LOT longer than you can live without enough water. Ditto the supplements. HYDRATE first right now. Eat what you can, take what supplements you can, but do NOT slack on the fluids. Getting busy and forgetting is not an option, so figure out something that jogs your mind in that direction.

s00zy66
on 7/17/11 7:52 am - TX
Here is a link to HYDROFLASK the very BEST in keeping liquids cold for 24 hours and warm for 12 hours.  I know that it's pricey, but it's well worth it during the process of us trying to stay hydrated.  I'm suffering, too, to get enough protein and liquids.

I know that canned meat isn't the best, but it's better than nothing, and better than not healing properly.  I'm so sick of tuna, but it's the only thing that I can tolerate right now. 
    HW / SW / CW / GW          348 / 327 / 175/ 140          Jan11 / Jun11 / Sep12 /

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 132 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 673 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 236 views