Whole Wheat Blues

Grider
on 7/16/11 11:19 pm - Clearwater, FL
I was told that after lap band surgery, my white cuban bread is a no-no! So once again I am trying to get used to the whole what breads, whole grain whatever is brown and seedy. I can't break it down! I get constipaded like I was eating rocks. I have had incidents that once sent me to the ER until I decided it was the whole wheat and would not eat it again until now that I am working on my surgery. I have been tested, done upper and lower GI. etc...there is nothing  wrong with me physically..
ANY suggestions of how to make this food more tolerable? Am I to go bread-less forever?

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 7/17/11 1:19 am
You may want to try whole wheat crackers, just chew them really well so they crumble. There's also this wassa crip bread that is cracker like, it comes in rye and wheat.

Neither are the same as bread, but it might help fight the food boredom
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Renee2007
on 7/17/11 1:24 am - Central, FL
 I'm not clear on where you are. Have you had the DS? Do you still have the lap band? Really thick and dense breads don't work well for me because they take up too much space in my stomach. I need that space for protein. I can eat wheat bread without the distress you are mentioning but I avoid it because of it's denseness.

When I was in my weight loss phase I tried to watch my bread consumption and I ate mostly the small and airy types of bread. Pepperidge Farms makes a Light Oatmeal and it worked well when I felt like having a sandwich or toast.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

Grider
on 7/17/11 1:35 am - Clearwater, FL
I am pre-op- won't be banded until maybe late October 2011. I am trying to lose a few lbs and get my body ready for the real thing, and learning how to eat different is a challange when your body is resisting. I do honey wheat bread just fine, but it is made with reg flour 1st. eating the whole wheat bread and protiens and salads is not working. I am trying to drink water, as much as possible and that's my challange. Maybe I am eating too much whole wheat in one day? I do not know how to eat this food.
Renee2007
on 7/17/11 2:40 am - Central, FL
 This is the Duodenal Switch Board. There is a Lap-Band Board and those folks will probably have a lot more useful information for you. Here is a link to that Board.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/lapband/

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

Julie R.
on 7/17/11 3:09 am - Ludington, MI
Maybe you happened to wander onto this board by providence, but really, truly, don't get the band.   Many doctors are not even using it in their bariatric practice anymore because of its high complication and failure rates.    If you have less than 100 lbs to use, look into the VSG.    
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Grider
on 7/17/11 3:57 am - Clearwater, FL
thanks I'll research my ins etc. sorry did not mean to get in the wrong forum
(deactivated member)
on 7/17/11 4:59 am - San Jose, CA
Even if your insurance says they don't cover the VSG or DS, you can appeal their denial to OUTSIDE medical review and most of the time, the insurance company will LOSE and will have to pay for the VSG or DS.  You will need a consult (which you may have to pay for after they deny you the first time when you ask for a referral) with a surgeon who does the procedures, and get a letter of medical necessity from the surgeon recommending the VSG or DS for YOUR medical conditions, as well as the patience to pursue the appeals - but keep in mind that you are making a decision that will affect your health and the quality of the REST OF YOUR LIFE.

Think twice, cut once.
Ann M.
on 7/17/11 5:58 am - GA
Perhaps its divine intervention that you are here.

Hi. I am a band to DS revision. I did have some success with the band but I had a lot of food intolerances. Intolerances in the sense that I would throw them right back up, especially dense protein (think ropa veija sp?). My quality of life really suffered with the band and I ended up with esophageal dilation and a slipped band. I lived on soft foods **** cream, mashed potatoes) and high calorie liquids. I was unable to eat chicken or breakfast for years. I was also water intolerant which meant I had a tough time getting water down but no problems with say coca cola. This of course is just MY experience with the band but I would urge you to research all the surgeries available to you especially the sleeve (VSG) if you want a restrictive surgery only.

I hope this information has been helpful. Best of luck on your journey.

-Band to DS revision on 06/21/2011!
Highest known Wt/ Lowest Wt (Banded)/ Regain-Starting Wt/ Current Wt/ Goal Wt
379.6/ 272/ 342/ 169/ South of 200

MsBatt
on 7/17/11 5:53 am
Please don't get a Band! You REALLY need to do a little reading here:www.obesityhelp.com/group/failed_lap_bands/
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 146 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 688 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views