Vitamin Conundrum Please Help Im So Confused!

MayBaby23
on 7/17/11 11:15 am
 Hi All

First thank you to everyone who insisted I fire my PCP and get one who understood me better and that I needed iron infusions.  I did fire him, got a new PCP and have had 3 infusions so far.  I am scheduled for 5 then retesting of blood work.

So I spoke to a bariatric nutritionist from a surgeon here (not my surgeons office - they just told me to take a prenatal vitamin and ferrous sulfate).  She told me lots of other things I needed to be taking and most were in-line with all of your recommendations.  I had to order Proferrin but I have that now too.  My question is this, what do I take when?  I am trying to set up a med minder on my phone but I cannot figure out how to get all this in.  How do you take them and not interfere with eating or drinking too soon?  Cause I am trying very hard but I am not good just yet at doing this.

I have Vitamin A - 25,000 IU trust me I had 10s to start and that was way too many pills.  I am very vitamin A deficient so what is the best amount to take and how much per day?

I have a B complex and a B12 2000 MCG sublingual - atm I am taking them once a day, is that enough?

I am taking two one a day multivitamins, broken, one am and one afternoon.

I am taking Calcium citrate (333mg)  with magnesium citrate (189 mg) and Vitamin D3 (204 IU).  I take 2 pills three times a day.  I believe this is the minimum amount and yes I am deficient here too. What times are best and with food or not? 

I am taking the proferrin at night with a vitamin c because that seems to be the only time its not too close to anything else.

So I appreciate any insight you all might have.  If there is something else I need to be taking, please let me know.  I am very very ill right now because I am so severely anemic, I am very vitamin deficient and I am protein malnourished.  I am struggling but keeping my head above water.  Thank you all for taking the time to read this and reply :)

Yours in Health

(and I started losing again, down 7 pounds in two weeks.  I am very thankful for that)

Tracy         
MajorMom
on 7/17/11 11:22 am - VA
You might try arranging your vites something similar to Vitalady's schedule. Here's the link: www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_BPDDS3- 2010.pdf

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 7/17/11 12:16 pm
 Tracy, taking the proferrin makes it easy, you can take it any time you take other vits. And you actually don't need the vitamin C with the proferrin.
I take Calcium Citrate 2 pills 4x a day, Magnesium Citrate at the same time as the Calcium, 
the first dose in the morning I also take my proferrin plus a few other vits.
The only thing I do is, i take my Vitamin D3 during the night when i get up to go to the bathroom. And I do that because I was having a hard time getting my D up to where it should be. 
Other wise just space things out 4 times or so through out the day.
It's makes it a lot easier.
Good Luck
walter A.
on 7/17/11 1:12 pm - lafayette, NJ
along with vitimins, eat real food that is vitamin rich,  like liver for iron.  and other foods. 
Elizabeth N.
on 7/17/11 1:39 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Protein helps carry all the other stuff through your body, so the protein malnutrition makes a difference in how you absorb EVERYTHING. So ride that issue hard. If you need TPN to get better, then get it and do it soon.

What was your A level last time you checked? Time before that? Is there a trend of which you are aware?

My A went from the 30's or so to 19 while I was taking 100,000 IU's of supposedly dry vitamin A a day! It was the wrong kind of A, contained some palmitate (which is what we want) and quite a bit of beta-carotene, which I was obviously not absorbing/converting. I switched to Vitalady's Tender A, took 100,000 IU's a day for three months or so, and got to the vicinity of 50. This rather terrified my endocrinologist LOL, even though it's a long, long ways from toxi****pt it up for another three months or so, don't recall just now how much higher it got, and then went down to 50,000 IU daily. I maintain acceptable levels with that much.

I take my A in a single dose at bedtime.

You should take more calcium. If I were in your shoes, I would take at least 2400 mg and possibly more.

How are your D levels? What kind of vitamin D and how much are you taking?

How about zinc and copper? Have you had those checked?

I'm very glad you fired the jerk PCP and are getting better care with the new one.

If you are able, I would suggest that you connect with Vitalady (email vitalady at vitalady dot com) and get involved with her program for helping people in bad shape. You don't have to buy all your supplements from her. She helps because she values helping, and she's very good at it.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views