Qustions ? about antibiotics and UTI

woakley
on 7/18/11 5:29 am - Graham, NC
I have an UTI for the first time and I'm 40 years old.  With the DS do we have any problems absorbing antibiotics.  I have been on an antibiotic for a week now and took the last pill this morning but I feel it has not cleared up, so that's why I am wondering about absorption with the antibiotics.  I don't remember reading anything about us not be able to absorb.  Any help would be great appreciated.  

Thanks, 

Wendy 
sotto_voce
on 7/18/11 6:22 am - Alpharetta, GA
I have chronic UTIs and have found that they clear up better with liquid antibiotics after the DS. Just have your physician write for a liquid after you explain your WLS history. I've never had any push back on this at all.

One thing, though... did they culture the bacteria from your urine sample? UTIs can be caused from all kinds of things, although the most common is e-coli. Once the culture is back, they can give you an antibiotic specifically targeted to the specific organism.

My other suggestion is to ask for a prescription of Detrol. It doesn't help cure the infection at all, but it numbs the urinary nerves, so that you don't have that constant "gotta pee now!" feeling. It is the only way I can function during a UTI, otherwise I'm in the bathroom constantly and missing work.

Good luck!

Bethany
Atlanta, GA

T H.
on 7/18/11 9:40 am - Bryantown, MD
Hi Wendy,

I had one a few months ago and it took FOUR rounds of antibiotics to clear it up.  I am convinced it was because I was not fully absorbing it.  Unfortunately, it was with a new gyn doctor to me who discovered it and who was not versed in the DS.  She was interested in DS info, but we were just too new for each other for her to "get it".  I kept feeling ALMOST better towards the end of each round and felt that if I had a couple more days of the meds, I would be fine.  She wouldn't listen to me.. and she was hard to reach as well.  Messages through secretaries doesn't work well.   It went away after the 4th round of what she gave me the first time... I was shocked it worked then... at that point I had already been in contact with my PCP to figure out wtf to do.  Ill have another new gyn next year for sure!

You might get a little relief for AZO OTC.  It helped a little.  I wouldnt bother the regular strength though.  Also, I started eating high potency cranberry like no tomorrow during it too..  no idea if that helped or not but I was willing to try anything. I still take the cranberry as preventative?  shrug

I hope you feel better. It really SUCKS.  :)

Teri
The only place were success comes before work is in the dictionary

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 258 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 247 views