3oz sleeve and a 150 common channel...

butercup
on 7/18/11 9:33 am, edited 7/17/11 9:59 pm - Kennewick, WA
Sound right? That's my surgeon's plan for me. He wants to be more aggressive because of my higher weight.

Does anyone else have that set up too?

Oh and I was down 9 lbs at my appointment. Not the 10 I was hoping for, but still very good. I'm down 25 lbs from the start of my pre-op diet. Yay! I'm getting to the middle of this. It feels more like the beginning of the end, but September is still a bit away isn't it.
Elizabeth N.
on 7/18/11 9:40 am - Burlington County, NJ

I dunno how aggressive a 150 cm common channel is. I would say "not very." But people do just fine with that. He might consider a 3 oz. stomach to be the aggressive part, I suppose.

butercup
on 7/18/11 9:59 am - Kennewick, WA
Good to know.  It sounded like what most people on here get.  What did you get?
newyorkbitch
on 7/18/11 11:27 am
I think you should insist on  a 100 cc.

Mine is 75.
Elizabeth N.
on 7/18/11 12:38 pm - Burlington County, NJ
See, the common channel is what makes or breaks maintenance (along with your compliance). Restriction gets more lax for everyone over time regardless of where you start. I started at 5 oz., but that is NOT a lot different from 3 oz. over time. My common channel is 75 cm, or half of what your surgeon is suggesting. Mine was done in the Hess method, which is about all the limb lengths, not just the common channel. Learn more about that at www.dshess.com .

butercup
on 7/18/11 12:52 pm - Kennewick, WA
Thanks for your help.  I do know that restriction isn't what carries you through.  If that was enough I'd just get a VSG.  I'll have to ask him why he doesn't do the Hess method.  Also why he referred to the 150 as aggressive if every DS patient of his has a 150.  I feel discouraged.  I don't want to gain my weight back like my MIL and her RNY either.

Elizabeth N.
on 7/18/11 1:27 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Well, as I said, I wonder if he's referring to the stomach size as aggressive. He is known as a very good guy, so please don't think I'm slamming him at all. His interest in postop nutrition is a very fine thing. He's clearly a skilled and thoughtful professional who doesn't just sell time slots in the OR.

There is no guarantee that anyone will lose everything with any size sleeve or particular intestinal limb lengths. I am personally a huge fan of the Hess method. It makes sense to me. I am immediately suspicious of anything that's labeled "standardized" in this context, because bodies are not standard. The variation is HUGE.

You have options. If you decide that a Hess-style configuration is what you want, you can go to surgeon who does it that way. It's up to you.

Dori_SF
on 7/19/11 1:16 pm - San Francisco, CA
My doc used the Hess method, but I just happened to have really long intestines when he measured (often the case w/ taller folks but not always), so it worked out to be 150 anyway. I inquired about getting 100, but Dr. Rabkin says 150 is a great balance of having a cc long enough to avoid a lot of the bathroom problems/deficiencies while still providing optimum weight loss. At any rate, if I had had shorter intestinal length he would have gone w/ a shorter cc.

Dori
HW 410 / SW 345 / CW 195 / GW 175  -   height: 5'10.5
150 cm common channel; 4 oz. stomach

butercup
on 7/19/11 1:19 pm - Kennewick, WA
Thanks Dori. :)   That makes me feel a bit better.  I was starting to obsess that I'm making a huge mistake.   I really appreciate your response.
ambermay
on 7/18/11 10:21 am
I think the average is 100 cm common channel and a 4 oz stomach.  right??  I have heard it go up to 200 cm common channel and 6 oz stomach.

5'6" -- HW 270ish/SW 153.6/GW 150/CW 138
Amber

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views