Iron Issues

Lainey1668
on 7/20/11 1:39 am - TN
 Can anyone out there pleae help. I have been going for Iron infusions for 3 years and they are very costly. Can any suggest anything else to keep my Iron up. I am soooo tires all the time. I fight the getting up and out of bed. I am 10years Post op and this last year has really been the wost..

I am waiting for Vita lady to get back to me but I need help now.

Suggestions??

Kayla B.
on 7/20/11 2:22 am - Austin, TX
How much do they cost you and how often are you needing them?

Have you tried any oral irons?

There are a few options.

The cheapest product for getting a good amount of elemental iron is her tender iron capsules.  They are easy to take.  You will likely want to try to take at least 300mg, but if you can tolerate more, I wouldn't necessarily say that would be a bad idea.  If you can stand it, multiple doses per day would also be recommended.  Remember, iron and calcium compete for absorption, so you will need to take the iron away from current calcium doses and not eat calcium-containing foods at the same time.

Proferrin is a heme based iron that a lot of people like as well.  But, it's expensive.  Taking 1-2 per day, perhaps even taking BOTH the proferrin and the tender iron, may help you extend time between infusions.  Proferrin is also available as a prescription, if your insurance will cover a large portion of it.

I do also wonder if there is anything else contributing to your extreme fatigue.  I am assuming the fatigue goes away with the infusion?  If not, I would be very interested to know the rest of your lab values to see if there is anything else energy-related that can be potentially improved upon.

5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Lainey1668
on 7/20/11 5:24 am - TN
I feel like it gets better but I am ALWAYS tired.. I was thinking of getting rechecked for Sleep apnea. I used to have it then it went away. I wonder if it's back?
Kayla B.
on 7/20/11 5:30 am - Austin, TX
A lot of things can lead to fatigue.  It does make me curious about whether everything else health-wise is OK with you.  Thyroid disease, heart problems, etc...the list really could go on and on.

What is your supplementation routine like?  When was the last panel of labs you had done?  Anything out of the ordinary besides the iron?

I guess the sleep apnea could have come back.  Is there a significant other that sleeps with you that has mentioned snoring or anything?
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Lainey1668
on 7/20/11 5:37 am - TN
I had all the tests done and everything is good. Yes my Husband has been waking me lately to rool over because I'm snoring pretty loud. I just made an appointment with a sleep clinic. We will see.
newyorkbitch
on 7/20/11 4:43 am
I have taken every kind of oral iron under the sun,  including everything Kayla mentioned.  Nothing works for me.  I also get infusions 2 - 3 times a year and that is the only thing that works.  I am 11 years post-op.

Lainey1668
on 7/20/11 5:22 am - TN
I usually go twice a year because it's really expensive and Insurance doesn't cover it. UGH I can honestly say this is the worst part.
newyorkbitch
on 7/20/11 5:24 am
Untreated chronic anemia is dangerous.  Don't let it get out of control.  It's worth the expense.

Lainey this is not only directed at you,  but a comment in general:  many vets around here say over and over again that if you cannot afford to do things like iron infusions,  the DS may not be the best choice for you.  Long term DS care is NOT inexpensive,  and lots of things we need are not covered by insurance in many instances.

Buyer beware.
Lainey1668
on 7/20/11 5:35 am - TN
Trust me. I am not stopping.. I was looking for another solution. Maybe something to supplement so I don't have to go as often.
beemerbeeper
on 7/20/11 5:37 am - AL
And surgeons need to consider the ability to pay for long term care post DS as well.  I am corresponding with a person who says she cannot afford Calcium much less the rest of the vitamins and protein that she needs.  Living below poverty level and the DS are not a good match.

~Becky

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 148 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 690 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views