My blood sugars are running very low

geekgirl127
on 7/20/11 1:41 am - Indianapolis, IN
I did my follow up A1C after my plastic surgery.  My pre-op labs showed it slightly low and he told me it wasn't low enough to cancel surgery but encouraged me to eat higher carb (never thought I'd have a Dr. Say that to me LOL ) well I followed up with my PCP like instructed and I went from a 4.2 to 3.8 in a month, he was concerned and had me test my bloodsugars again... (*sigh* I thought I was done with that phase of my life ) and my fasting was 63 my 2 hours post meal was only a 69...

My PCP scheduled an appointment to discuss this. 
HW/SW/CW/GW = 371/352/168/130  - I love my DS!!

Elizabeth N.
on 7/20/11 2:17 am - Burlington County, NJ
Eating more carbs might be making your levels worse with reactive hypoglycemia.

If I were in your shoes I'd do a little bit of a push test: Fasting test, eat a normal breakfast and test every thirty minutes for at least two hours and see what happens. Any spike of, oh, maybe thirty points or more would alarm me about the potential for RH.

Perhaps running low is your "new normal." Are you feeling symptomatic at those levels?

I'll be interested in how your appointment goes.

geekgirl127
on 7/20/11 2:28 am - Indianapolis, IN
Thanks for the input... I'll try the push test tommorow.

To clarify, the eating higher carb was the few days before surgery, I can't do it really long term as it makes me gain and generally feel awful so I need a better solution than that anyways.

I didn't feel any symptoms at all and if I hadn't had labs drawn for surgery I would not be aware of the problem until my next set of labs which is scheduled for end of August.

geekgirl127
on 7/21/11 12:29 am - Indianapolis, IN
So I tried the push and here's what happened.

First Breakfast was scrambled eggs with cheddar cheese on them and a side of polish sausage.

Fasting blood sugar 61 (6 an)
Breakfast eater at work  8:45 am
Took first bloodsugar at 9am (78)
took secon at 9:15 (71)
took third at 9:45 (69)
took fourth at 10:15 ( 68)
will do another at 10:45

Elizabeth N.
on 7/21/11 12:45 pm - Burlington County, NJ
That sounds really very steady. You could do another push with carb intake just for grins and giggles. I would do that by consuming 40-50 grams of fast acting carb (say as apple juice) in no more than 15 minutes, faster if possible, and then test at 30 minute intervals for three hours.

Obviously you would want to do this at a time when you know you would have the least impact on your environment for consequences :-p. And if you know you'd about die of bloat, don't bother.... (Three guesses how I know this. BTW huckleberry milkshakes are evil.)

I'm wondering if this might be your "new normal" range for the time being at least.

Another thought would be to follow your levels around two hours after you eat, or right before each time you eat, and keep track of how you feel (hungry? kinda symptomatic of low bs?), and see if there's any pattern of a big drop.

DianaRR
on 7/20/11 10:46 am - CA
Have the doctors adjusted your medication levels already?

Diana
geekgirl127
on 7/21/11 12:30 am - Indianapolis, IN
I was off my meds within 2 weeks after my DS... my bloodsugars stablized immediately after surgery, once the IVs were out they actually started to run low with meds so he took me off my meds and then they ran normal until now.

Kayla B.
on 7/21/11 1:17 pm - Austin, TX
How many carbs would you say you eat in a day?  At night?  When is your last meal and what does it usually look like?

You really are not critically hypoglycemic, but there are some conditions that could be causing this, so it's probably a good idea to just check in with your PCP to rule some of these things out.  Could be endocrine related.  Maybe too much insulin.  Maybe not enough glucagon.  Maybe some other hormonal-related syndrome.

Or, this really could be as simple as you not eating many/any carbs.  Your body uses stored liver glycogen to get itself through the night, but if you aren't eating any carbs later in the day, you might not be storing enough to get you by when you aren't eating, so you deplete and run low in the morning.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 279 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 753 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 251 views