How did you feel...

ShersJourney
on 7/20/11 5:16 am
 ...just 4 days post op?  How about 2 weeks & 4 days?

We had court Monday against the kid who killed my son... and he's playing stall games w/ the court and ******g everyone off - so the case is tentatively held over to trial, set to start August 29th which is my birthday, and 4 days post op.  The prosecutor is going to request a change to September 12... but obviously either date sucks for me. 

Of course the plan is, this person will request another plea before the 29th and we'll never get to trial but he keeps changing his tactics so who knows... and me not being there is NOT an option, so I'm trying to get a general idea of how others felt at those points post op.

The surgery will be performed lap, and Dr. K said not to expect to be in the hospital more than a day... so I'm hopeful that maybe with a wheel chair and such, I can do it if it comes to that.

Thanks in advance!
Sherry

beemerbeeper
on 7/20/11 5:31 am, edited 7/20/11 5:32 am - AL
I felt like total crap.  That is just being honest.  I could have probably sat in a court room for a few hours but would have had to walk slowly and take fluids to sip on.  If they won't let you take fluids you should NOT go.  You may need a note from a doctor for that.

Edited to add that I think this trend (if that is what it is) towards only keeping DS patients one day is frightening.  I stayed 3 nights and should have stayed another 2.  I had lap surgery with 0 complications. 

~Becky

Heather E.
on 7/20/11 8:53 am
Becky, I was a bit shocked by the one night thing.  Sherry's surgeon is partners with my surgeon.  When I had my DS, there was absolutely no question that I would at least be staying two nights.  I ended up staying three and not leaving until early evening on the fourth day.  I don't think there is any possible way I could have gone home after only one night!

~Heather~

HW: 249/ CW: 130/ GW: 140

Kayla B.
on 7/20/11 5:37 am - Austin, TX
Count me in for feeling like crap too.  Having surgery was also suuuper emotional for me.  I definitely am not sure how well I would handle such a sensitive manner so soon after surgery.

That being said, if it were me, I would probably still move forward with my plans, though I am often a glutton for punishment.  We get through what we must.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
ShersJourney
on 7/20/11 5:47 am
I told the prosecutor I've fought for this surgery for 3.5 years - my daughter's time off request is already approved and her airfare is already paid for - so rescheduling is NOT an option.  He's going to try for September 12 - - how much difference do you guys think the extra 2 weeks would make?  Seems substantial to me but I'm told not to compare this recuperation with previous surgeries.

RE: liquids, we all had water bottles with no complaints and since it was the prosecutor's liasion who provided them I'm hopeful that it will always be okay.

I thought about the emotions, too, post op from hernia surgery - I guess because of the morphine - I was crying over french toast so yeah, that could be quite interesting.  I sure hope this kid's attorney stops playing games!

beemerbeeper
on 7/20/11 5:59 am - AL
I actually felt worse between week 2 and 3 than I did the week I got out of the hospital.  Easily explained tho as I was getting more dehydrated every day.

You also should not sit for long periods to avoid blood clots. 

Don't count on the attorney stopping working the system.

I'm so sorry you have this timing issue.  But like someone said, you can do what you have to do.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/11 5:01 am
Four days post op, I was in no shape to do much of anything, besides be in bed. At one week post op, I was on a plane, flying home. Boy howdy that was a long trip!  At two weeks, though, I felt better.  I wasn't driving or lifting, but I was better.
AllieInOntario
on 7/20/11 5:52 am
Everybody heals differently.  I'm 4 weeks out and still tired.  Mobility wise though, at two weeks, I was already visiting my Father in the hospital, going with my husband to go shopping for groceries etc.   All things being equal, I would say hydration, and fatigue would be your biggest strain.  Overdoing the fatigue is only going to hinder your recovery.    I still nap in the afternoon most days.

Obviously there is NOTHING good about your sitch... best advice I can offer is: this SOB took your son's life,... do not let him take your health down the toilet too.   Can you plan maybe to go for the mornings only or afternoons only etc. 
Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

kathie09
on 7/20/11 6:15 am - not available
Sherry

I'm so, so sorry to hear about this situation. I can't imagine all you must be feeling. We had a similar situation hit close to home, and the emotional trauma that we faced as friends of the victim was just atrocious. I wish I knew how to help heal your loss.

I am not post op from a DS, so I have no advice with particulars to this surgery. I have, however, had 8 other surgeries. I find that - depending on my level of pain post surgery and the drugs that I am taking - I seem to be less effective in critical situations.

It sounds like you can't change the date - but if there are any major decisions to make in regards to the trial, I would make sure that you made them before going under the knife. I don't know much about the legal process so I could be handing out advice not needed.

I am sending a big cyber hug to you though, and will say a prayer for you and your family. What a sad thing. I will pray for healing♥....and that there is justice served with the person responsible for doing this.

hugs

kathie09
LaShelle2
on 7/20/11 7:21 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
I felt like sh*t for about 3-4 months!  It was like someone had stuck a pin in me and was slowly draining all the life and energy out of me.  It was the worst feeling ever!

I had a textbook perfect surgery and excellent aftercare, but I still felt horrible.

The good thing is it does get better. it just takes so long to feel like a human again for some of us.

Now, what will make you feel better sooner is to drink, drink, drink, walk, and get in the protein. Also if I did it again, I would have opened up the Vitalady capsules and sprinkled them in my shakes. I think it woulda helped, but I just play a doctor on OH.

I am not trying to scare you, just being real with you.

A lot of people on here claim their recovery was a bed of roses. I think they must all be full of crap!  LOL. Or maybe they were on hallucinogenic drugs or something.

So, expect to feel like crap, and if you don't it will be a welcome surprise.

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 75 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 640 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 232 views