DS approved! But...

Sher Bear Mama
on 7/22/11 7:22 am

Saw my surgeon today and he approved me for the DS!!!!  Yay! I got over my very first hurdle (with a lot of help from Bookfaerie--thank you very much).  The doctor said he'd do the surgery and actually seemed pleased that we were there and knew so much about the procedure.  He even said he wished he had more patients like us!  Not more patients with the DS request, just more patients who knew their **** (please excuse the language) about their procedure.

That being said, he did not wave the Options classes.  He said he had no problem with me not taking the classes but didn't want to deal with the aftermath from Kaiser if he waved them.  So, I checked to see if my appeal to Kaiser had been approved--but it was denied.  I sent in my DMHC appeal 7 days ago--it's in the pipeline there and has been sent to a case manager--but no decision has been made.  So, I'm just hoping that they'll agree to wave the classes.  The surgeon said that as soon as I got the OK from the DMHC, he'd schedule my pre-op and surgery!  Yay!  In the meanwhile, I'll see if I can get back in the classes (today was the first and I missed it because it conflicted with the surgeons appointment) to pass the time as I wait to hear from the DMHC.

So, send happy thoughts to my grievance!!!

Sheri

Sher--the bear mama

scoob
on 7/22/11 7:32 am - Somerset, KY
Happy thoughts, Happy thoughts, Happy thoughts!!   

Congrats on jumping through one of the hoops and happy thoughts for all the others you may or may not encounter! Good luck, girly!!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

(deactivated member)
on 7/22/11 7:37 am - San Jose, CA
Wait, you went in to see Belzberg, asked for the DS, and just like that he said yes??  And is ready to schedule you for surgery?

This is unprecedented.  Really.  I am flabbergasted (but in a GOOD way)! 
This is a red-letter day for the DS.

The DMHC grievance to force Kaiser to wiave the options class is pretty much a shoo-in.  It just may take another couple of weeks.  You might as well sign up for the classes - perhaps you could pay it forward by telling people in the classes that you attend while waiting for them to be waived, that they can file a grievance too.

Congratulations!!
Sher Bear Mama
on 7/22/11 7:52 am
Well, it wasn't so simple as walking in and him saying  yes.  But I had Bookfaerie there with me so he got to see how wonderful she looked after 6 months post op.  Also, we stood firm and also praised his "wonderful work"--showed him how I'd looked carefully at the other surgeries--the RNY not good for me since I have stomach cancer in my family and since I take NSAIDS and Sleeve not good because I'm diabetic and it may not be effective enough.  I'm sure the combination of our firm grasp of knowledge on the DS and my willingness to defer to his opinion and Laura's praise--all of that must have been what pushed him over the edge.  It wasn't hard but I think the stars aligned on this one.  Also, we told him how Laura's info on the DS scared the **** out of me and made me take a careful look at whether or not I was really committed to this surgery.  I'm sure that had an impact.  But I'm just so happy he seemed so impressed with us. 

I'm starting class next Friday--I intend to spread the word about the DS--covertly of course.  I'll be the undercover DS proselytizer!!!  Hoping to come over to the dark side officially very soon, but for now it'll be by-proxy.  Definitely paying it forward!

Sheri
Sher--the bear mama

(deactivated member)
on 7/22/11 7:58 am - San Jose, CA

I hope you didn't misunderstand - I know you and Bookfaerie worked really hard to position your situation as best as could be done, and you are to be commended for that - I'm sure it wouldn't have been possible without that as well.

But the fact is, Belzberg on his own, without being forced by the DMHC, without getting approval of higher-ups, without it being a formal waiver of policy, and presumably without a written policy change (unless you can find it?), was allowed to agree to do a procedure that Kaiser has FIRMLY AND STUBBORNLY completely opposed.  THAT is what flabbergasts me.

Sher Bear Mama
on 7/22/11 8:03 am, edited 7/21/11 8:06 pm
I'm flabbergasted too!! It's very exciting and maybe it says that his mind (and Kasier's policy) is changing. He even said that the DS is a "good surgery". He said it works well and that it should be good for me--as long as I take proper care of myself. He did not try and talk me out of it. I was amazed and so was Bookfaerie. I'm sure she'll be posting on here today to give her take on the experience.

I'll tell you what, it defintely brought us closer together! You can't go through something as life-changing as this and not get closer to the person who is by your side. I'm grateful as ever to her!

Oh, and thankful to you Diana and to Larra as well--for putting me in touch with Bookfaerie.
Sher--the bear mama

Sher Bear Mama
on 7/22/11 8:08 am
Diana, do you think there will be a problem with my DMHC complaint form since I sent it in before Kaiser gave me the second regection? I didn't send anything into the DMHC regarding the second regection (haven't gotten anything in writing yet) but I heard that I wasn't supposed to send the grievance until AFTER the second regection. 

Any thoughts?

Sheri
Sher--the bear mama

(deactivated member)
on 7/22/11 8:38 am - San Jose, CA
I think there is some confusion about two separate processes at the DMHC. 

The grievance process relates to procedural issues, like the requirement for taking the Options classes.  To my knowledge, you don't even have to go through the charade of asking them to waive the classes - once you were given the requirement to take them, you were eligible to file a grievance with the DMHC to ask them to order Kaiser to waive the requirement.

The other process is the IMR review process for refusal to provide care, either due to an allegation that the requested care is either experiemental or not medically necessary (two different paths, both going through the external IMR process), which are substantive issues.  For those appeals, you have to exhaust the internal appeals process with your insurance company/plan, before you can file for an IMR.
Sher Bear Mama
on 7/22/11 8:45 am
Well, I first sent out the "Complaint" form for the DMHC.  I was not intending to fill out the IMR because I thought it was a more in-depth process than I needed to go through.  As it turns out, they put my Complain form into the IMR review process.  I'm not sure which was the right path to take but they seem to have chosen it for me.  Aparently, they say the complaint route doesn't take as long as the IMR route.  Do you think I need to call and see if I can get it pushed along more quickly? Clearly this is a procedural issue.

Sheri
Sher--the bear mama

(deactivated member)
on 7/22/11 8:48 am - San Jose, CA
YES!  Do it today, before they close for the weekend.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 167 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 700 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 238 views