Few questions

litebrite
on 7/23/11 3:36 am - Telford, PA
I am having surgery 8/15/11 and have tried to read everything I could on it.  I have been more of a lurker but have been on the board for a few months now.  Learning and reading from the great people here.  I just have a few things to ask. 

I have read a few pre-op lists and they all have small battery operated fan.  What is that for?  Do people get hot flashes? I know I read about hormones getting out a wack for some.

I was reading that some people are told to stay away from lactose all together, at least for a period of time after surgery.  Is that true?

Thank you for any help.
MajorMom
on 7/23/11 3:55 am - VA
Hi there and welcome. I think the fan is for cooling yourself in those hot hospital rooms. Air circulation and cooling in those tiny rooms isn't the best.  Many folks seem to be a little lactose intolerant at first. For most it doesn't last too long, for others it may last longer or never go away. It's YMMV (your mileage may vary). We were told to buy Lactaid milk for mixing protein shakes.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 7/23/11 5:34 am - Beverly, NJ

My hospital room was like an oven until I cranked up the A/C.  The nurses kept commenting how they liked to come see me so they could cool off.  That I had made my room the coolest on the floor.  I kept the door closed, the window curtain drawn and the A/C on super high.  I am chronically hot surgery or not.  So I prepare for things like that lol  

Lactose varies per individual.  It's one of those things you'll have to test when you come home.  I can tolerate certain types of dairy but others not soo much.  

Twi light
on 7/23/11 5:45 am - NY
Ask to tour the hospital floor where you will be staying, see if they have ACs in the room. I had private rooms( as did everyone on that floor) and that room was freezing  so there was no need to get a fan for me, i was actually bundled up most of the time.

I will say that be prepared for either coldness/hotness and have a bag that will accomodate that accordingly. Bring clothes with you , chap stick, and other comforts of home, also ask the hospital what they provide. My hopital provided socks and chapstick, mouth wash, toothbrush, they had this whole kit ready to go and i didnt need anythign besides my clothes/underwear, but itis nice to have your own stuff that you like.

I would avoid lactose based products until the gas subsides (1 week or so), then try cottage cheese milk and see how you react..  I tried cottage cheese post op when i was home and still gassy and the gas seemed ot get worse, but a week later i tried again and i been eating it past 3 days with no reaction.  

geutenmorgan
on 7/23/11 1:55 pm
My room had A/C but it was still Texas so I was hot, a great nurse found a fan for me. I would recommend bringing one, a small one. I absolutely needed 3 things chap stick, my toothbrush, and my own pillow (I put a colored pillow case so it wouldn't blend into the hospitals pillows). You will be able to take a shower, you just have to ask on day 2 or 3. Be ready mentally that the first 24 hours will absolutely SUCK! Breathing will hurt, cuz your guts are messed up, be ready to bear with it. It gets better every day after that. If you have a CPAP machine for sleep apnea, bring it, they will need it when you are in your room trying to get out of the anesthesia funk. Visitors are nice, but you are not really wanting to chat till maybe day 3. FYI. Good luck.
CAN!!  by Rick Hoyt     
Mommy2006
on 7/23/11 2:41 pm
I am normally warm, but post-op I was like a furnace. I NEEDED that small fan (I wouldn't personally recommend a battery-operated one, though, as they kind of suck). It blew on me non-stop the entire time I was there.

The next time I was in the hospital I was almost 100lbs lighter. I use a fan to sleep at night so I wanted it for the noise. It can be very comforting, especially with the craziness of being in the hospital in the first place.

Also, I was lactose-intolerant post-op, and it has now disappeared. You know it can happen, so you'll be adequately prepared.
Diane Davis
on 7/23/11 5:13 pm
I also thank all of you for this input.  My surgery is 8/17.
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
litebrite
on 7/23/11 9:41 pm - Telford, PA
Thank you so much everyone.  I appreciate all the help!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 270 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 745 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views