To count or not to count

wannablite
on 7/23/11 11:37 pm - Southern, NJ
that is the question. I've read many posts and I'm still not sure if we can count the liquid in a caffeinated drink? I may drink 8 oz of regular coffee a day and I'm not sure if I can count it as part of my daily fluid intake. What do you do? Thanks in advance!

Catnip
on 7/23/11 11:42 pm - Ottawa, Canada
 Caffeinated anything does not count towards your liquid count for the day.  It is actually dehydrating.

Coffee cola, tea etc. doesn't count.  Some advocate that anything sweetened either naturally or artificially doesn't count either.

CNC

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

wannablite
on 7/24/11 12:45 am - Southern, NJ
 Thanks for responding! I have not been counting it, but just wondered what the general consensus was.

NoreenRT
on 7/23/11 11:49 pm - Warner Robins, GA
i don't count caffeinated coffee as part of my daily fluid intake.  i do count soup if i get a full 8 oz of broth. 

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

wannablite
on 7/24/11 12:47 am - Southern, NJ
 Much appreciated! I do decaf for the most part, but every now and then I want the caff!

Kayla B.
on 7/24/11 12:58 am - Austin, TX
I've always personally found that pure water is the most hydrating, but I pretty much only drink artificially sweetened drinks, diet juice, diet soda, tea, and coffee and I'm quite obviously still alive.

The dehydrating effects of coffee are kind of overblown.  Even in athletes, it hasn't be found to significantly alter fluid balance.  Probably has a bigger effect if you don't drink caffeine very often.

It "counts" but I've never personally found the 64oz thing to be very helpful.  So arbitrary.  I have to go by how I feel, and I generally feel better if I drink well over 100oz.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
wannablite
on 7/24/11 1:47 am - Southern, NJ
 Point well taken. Thank you!

Renee2007
on 7/24/11 1:21 am - Central, FL
 I am in the same camp as Kayla. Liquid is liquid. Even when you are in the hospital and they want you on liquids they give you broth, coffee, soda and even jello because it's basically a liquid too. I'm not saying that should be your only source but it will hydrate you. I base my intake on how I feel and the easiest way for me to tell if I'm adequately hydrated is to look at the veins on top of my hand. If they are plump, I'm good to go. If not,  I know I should drink more. I'm just not a good example of someone who counts everything that goes in my mouth. I base so much of my experience with my numbers....scale...labs and energy level.

I live on the Walmart generic version of Crystal Light. Without it I'd shrivel up. I am very much alive and healthy!

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

wannablite
on 7/24/11 1:50 am - Southern, NJ
 I judge a lot by my hands as well! Good to hear your opinion & thank you!

Panda ..
on 7/24/11 2:21 am, edited 7/24/11 11:42 am
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 295 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 767 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 254 views