Do any of you drink Kale juice (or other home made leafy green juice)

Twi light
on 7/23/11 9:08 am - NY
Does anyone drink kalejuice that they squeeze at home? does this agree/disagree with a ds stomach.

(deactivated member)
on 7/23/11 9:30 am
 Hmmmm, NO!

Why?
From what I understand of Vegetables they have no protein (almost) in them. The best it can do is help you hydrate, bu****er does that. 

Juicing all together is really a bad idea, if it's sweet it's carbs, if it's not you are better of eating the item because then at least you get some fiber.
teachmid
on 7/23/11 9:35 am - OKC, OK
I agree with Inge. I don't want to drink my carbs.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Twi light
on 7/23/11 11:19 am - NY
well i specifically used kale as an example, because it is highly dense in nutrient content and low carb. You cant really eat enough of it by just eating it. 100 grams has 10 carbs (complex) but it is just high in vitamin content.

I wasnt really thinking of apple , mango, or even carrot juice as i know those would be void of nutrtional value by the simple fact that you would end up getting so many carbs from it, but kale or spinach etc, those green leafy greens seem really good for you so i was wondering how they would go for a DSer.

Probably not necessary though given that DSers supplement a lot more than the average person and have the opportunity to up nutrient content through supplements, but i assume that fresh kale juice is nutrtinally good for a DSer? 

(deactivated member)
on 7/23/11 11:55 am
 So, using the kale as an example. It is high in Vitamin A.
With the DS we do not absorb vitamin A very well, so  you will get a very small amount of the A but you still would get carbs, infact highly concentrated because it is juice.

So something like a cup of actual kale raw gives you about 7 carbs.
I don't know how many cups full you would actually need to make even a small amount of "juice", but I'm of the opinion (but that's just me) it's not worth it.

I rather fill my stomach with protein, and I do cook crusiferous vegetable, like broccoli in olive oil and garlic. So when I eat those vegies at least I get the fiber, plus I get to eat, plus I get the vitamins (what little I can get) and I can count those vegies as only 50-60% carbs absorbed.

But that's just me.

I don't think you will find to many DSers that are willing to juice, when they can eat, enjoy it and stay healthy all at the same time.

P. Poster
on 7/23/11 9:19 pm
 Since my DS, I no longer even consider vitamins and nutrients from food other than protein.  We just don't absorb anything well enough anymore, and the TINY bits of nutrition in food, just isn't enough anymore.  I chalk that stuff up to "bonus" IF I have room for veggies, fruit, ect- but, I don't count on it and don't waste space on it either- whether in solid, creamed, juiced whatever form...
Kayla B.
on 7/23/11 12:24 pm - Austin, TX
Sounds gross to me, but I don't see any problem with it.

There are some things in food that you just can't get from a pill.  Vitamins and minerals are essential, but there are other compounds in fruits and vegetables that do a body good.

I wouldn't say it's a bad idea.  I actually think eating the kale at this point would be less disagreeable for you, since fiber from veggies seems to go right through many of us.

Soo...yeah, probably fine if you want to do it.  Doesn't really appeal to me, personally, but have a ball.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
zuzupetals2u2
on 7/23/11 4:29 pm - Sedona, AZ
it occurred to me to remind you that you don't have to suffer those kinds of green things anymore- you can have bacon & eggs, omelets, cheese, steak, burger, ribs, chicken. crab & lobster with butter, and tuna with all the mayo you want on it as often as you want.  LOL

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

newyorkbitch
on 7/24/11 4:50 am
Some of us love vegetables.
PattyL
on 7/24/11 4:30 am
 If you like this, there's no reason why you can't drink it.  Just be sure you are getting in your protein because that's always more important.

Kale isn't very popular these days.  My mom and grandma ate it all the time.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 137 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 679 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 236 views