Five year wows

Julie R.
on 7/24/11 7:45 am - Ludington, MI
 I was thinking about Maddie's post how she's still having wows at two years out, and how at five years, I'm still having major wows, and quite frequently.   I think this surgery just keeps on giving and giving, LOL.    So Maddie - or others - don't give up on seeing those wows ending any time soon.   

My husband is a chef and he's managing the kitchen of a local eatery that was open for 70 years and closed.   The new owner hired him to get it running again, and the "grand reopening" was yesterday, complete with a pig roast.    I helped out at it.   Three big wows occurred in one day:

1.   I kept asking for all the fatty, crispy little pieces off the pig and everyone turned their noses up, because it was "too high in fat."   Several people commented on how I could be so little and eat like that.   Hmmmm.....as my husband told one customer...."She has her secrets."

2.  The new owner had shirts for sale, and he kept encouraging me to wear one of their tank tops to advertise them.   Guys, I'm 50.   He kept persisting.   He held out a size small for me, and said, "Here - this'll fit."   I said, "No way - that's so tiny."   He says, "That's the point, hun."    Tried it on.  It fit.   Huh.   Wow.    Another very tiny lady came up to me and said, "Hey - you're real tiny - what size do you have on?"    I told her a small.  She said, "Oh good - I'll get that size too!   She bought one and put it on immediately and was walking around with it on.   I kept staring at her, thinking, "Am I really that size?"   I finally turned to my husband and said, "Am I REALLY the same size as her?"   In true guy fashion, he said, "No - her boobs are smaller than yours, but yes, the rest of you is the same size."   I still have a tough time considering myself as being small.   Of course, all the guys were staring at her, because she was young, and didn't have saggy arms and a bazillion wrinkles.

3.  I ran into one of the few people that I know from this area that knew me pre-op - the ex husband of my former landlady.    I "reintroduced" myself to him, and I thought his eyes were going to bug out of his head.   He hugged me and hugged me and told me how pretty I looked, and took me around and introduced me to all his friends and told them of my weight loss.   He wasn't rude about it at all, he was very tactful, and he just kept grinning and shaking his head at me.     

So all and all - it's still an ego boost, especially for a dinosaur like me, to still get my props every once in a while!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

orangecrushed
on 7/24/11 7:50 am - Triad, NC
Sounds like some great "WOWs" to me!  (the crispy, fatty pieces are always the best ones)  It's very encouraging to hear that even long term you still have plenty of Wow moments!
NoMore B.
on 7/24/11 7:52 am
 **Like**

What a great post, Julie.  I hope I'm doing as well as you are at 5 years!
teachmid
on 7/24/11 8:07 am - OKC, OK
Great post, Julie. You made me smile.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

(deactivated member)
on 7/24/11 9:02 am
 From one Dinosaur to another, you are looking good.
I know we are the last to know/see how we look.

By the way..... I made your Chicken salad with the Nappa Cabbage today and it was amazing.

Julie R.
on 7/24/11 11:47 am - Ludington, MI
 Thanks, Inge.   I liked the salad so much that I'm making it again for a church potluck this week.

butercup
on 7/24/11 10:28 am - Kennewick, WA
So great! Love this post. I hope that I can be half as hot as you Julie.
yorkieGal
on 7/24/11 10:29 am - Clermont, FL
Hey Julie, that a is a great post from a great person. I am so happy that your Ds continues to provide you with such positive things, it couldnt happe to a nicer gal!!

I am 3.5 yrs out and I feel just the same about my Ds too!! I would have loved to see that person who you havent seen for a long time - I love it when that happens!!

Thanks for all your invaluable input on the board and your great sense of humor and honesty - love ya honey! Oh and I would have loved to have tasted some of that good stuff Barry was cookin up!!

Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

Julie R.
on 7/24/11 11:01 am - Ludington, MI
 Yorkie - he is HOT HOT HOT.....I'm not one to ogle good looking men all that much, and fortunately, Barry's not the jealous type, but oooooohh baby - he was a good one to get hugged by!

yorkieGal
on 7/24/11 11:34 pm - Clermont, FL
Oh yeh baby, anyway, you're married not brain dead ....a girl can look dontcha know lol. Love ya honey, so glad you are doing so well and you are both so happy!!

Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views