Pulled pork... pulled chicken?

Catnip
on 7/30/11 2:47 am - Ottawa, Canada
 HI Guys,

I am trying to be super careful these days with money.  I am craving pulled pork but don't have any pork in the freezer and I am determined to use up stuff in the freezer rather then buy.  I have a whole chicken though.
I am thinking of making pulled pork but with chicken.  Do you think it would be as good?  i would use the whole chickenso there would be dark and white meat.

My idea is too thaw the chicken, remove the skin  and then throw it in the slowcooker with some onions and spices, let it cook long enough to get the meat off the bones. Then cook the meat some more on it's own. Add bbq sauce and then serve.

Ideas, comments, suggestions, receipes?

Thanks
CNC

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

Emily F.
on 7/30/11 3:04 am
yup, sounds great.
KathyA999
on 7/30/11 3:30 am
The breast meat may be a bit dry after all that cooking, but the bbq sauce would fix that.  Or you can take the white meat out after it cooks, shred and return after everything else is done cooking, just to warm it. Dark meat, it seems like you can cook forever without drying it out.  I say, go for it and see how you like it.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

MsBatt
on 7/30/11 3:47 am
Oh, I LOVE BBQ'd chicken! It won't taste quite like pulled pork, but it will be GOOD. (*grin*)
a_new_mii
on 7/30/11 3:59 am - AZ
 I  used to do BBQ chicken sands all the time (very budget friendly).  I don't use much BBQ sauce anymore (too high carb for me).  I just threw the chicken in the crock pot, cover it with water, sprinkle in some chicken boullion granules, and let it cook to tenderness. pull out all the chicken, bone and shred.  Save the broth until you're sure it won't be too dry, if it is just add some of the broth from the crock.  I like to add some montreal seasoning, and eat it just like that.  Sometimes the family likes to add the BBQ, so they just use it as a condiment.  MMMmm....MMMM...MMMM
Join us here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi ~~❁~Ginger~~~
The beginning of a whole new world.              
HW-445
   SW-417    CW-162  GW-175            

Julie R.
on 7/30/11 5:14 am - Ludington, MI
 You can also make Mexican pulled chicken for chicken tacos or low-carb burritos.   Just cook it up with Mexican seasonings like chili, cumin, etc.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Elizabeth N.
on 7/30/11 5:19 am - Burlington County, NJ
Sure. I do that rather regularly as my "hunk o' flesh" recipe that I talk about sometimes on here. Add LOTS of onions and a fair amount of butter. The white meat will be just as juicy and tender as the dark meat.

NoreenRT
on 7/30/11 9:37 am - Warner Robins, GA
chicken sounds like a great idea.  what time should i join you for dinner?  

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views