Plan B contraceptive and DS????

mellysarah03
on 7/31/11 2:42 am - Fort Myers, FL
 Hey so this is a way tmi moment but last night I had a contraceptive failure and I was thinking that I could try the Plan B emergency contraceptive. Only question is. Will it work with my ds?? I am almost 3 years out and I have never had this happen before. Im a little scared. Does any of you ladies out there have any insight? Anything would be appreciated. I am just afraid that if it doesnt work I will obsorb only some of the hormones and if it doesnt work and I do end up preg. that there would be an issue with the baby because of taking it.

I used to make excuses why I cant Now I make reasons why I CAN!!
155LBS GONE FOREVER!! LIVING LIFE... I LOVE MY DS

butercup
on 7/31/11 3:58 am - Kennewick, WA
I don't know about your current issue.  I would suggest you either call your surgeon or your gyn for the answer.  They are probably better qualified to answer it for you.  Hopefully someone here will have something to help though.

What I would suggest is some no fail birth control.  I just got a little implant in my arm this last week.  It lasts for 3 years.  It's going to regulate my hormones and provide almost 100% birth control.
The failure rate for Implanon is about 0.0449%.   It also doesn't make you gain weight, which was very important for me.

Here's a link to some info on it, Implanon.
mellysarah03
on 7/31/11 10:02 am - Fort Myers, FL
I tried some "no fail" BC I had adverse reactions to all of them (the hormones) and my only option was an IUD. Which to me is NOT an option because I have not had children and I hope to have some before 10 years.

butercup
on 7/31/11 1:39 pm, edited 7/31/11 1:39 am - Kennewick, WA
You should give the IUD another look. My sister in law has 4 kids and that was her main birth control in between. I wasn't interested in it because of the string. It kinda creeped me out. The implant that I have now is a progesterone only hormone. I need extra progesterone though because I have too much estrogen.

If you don't have a gyn that you see, maybe Planned Parenthood could help you find a good solution that won't fail you.

Ann M.
on 7/31/11 4:51 am, edited 7/31/11 4:52 am - GA
Per the Plan B website:

What if I'm already pregnant and use Plan B One-Step™?

There is no medical evidence that Plan B One-Step™ would harm a developing baby. If you take Plan B One-Step™ accidentally after you're already pregnant, or it doesn't work and you become pregnant, it's not likely to cause any harm to you or your pregnancy. Plan B One-Step™ will not disrupt or affect an existing pregnancy.

Further, the main ingredient is not sustained release which is usually the issue in DSrs.

HTH

-Band to DS revision on 06/21/2011!
Highest known Wt/ Lowest Wt (Banded)/ Regain-Starting Wt/ Current Wt/ Goal Wt
379.6/ 272/ 342/ 169/ South of 200

Emily F.
on 7/31/11 8:32 am
No, I would think its fine to take w a ds. It should work if you take it in the correct time frame.
mellysarah03
on 7/31/11 10:02 am - Fort Myers, FL
Thank you for the replies. They are much appreciated.

prettypixels
on 7/31/11 11:19 am
Plan B won't hurt a baby that is already growing, it just prevents an egg from implanting. Good luck! Planned Parenthood once stayed open late for me to come by and get the pill on a Friday night, they are the best!
MoxieD
on 8/1/11 7:15 am - Philly Burbs, PA
Plan B has an emergency hot line 800-330-1271.  Not sure anyone will be versant enough in the DS but it might be worth trying.  You might be able to find out where absorption takes place and if it is a time release.  They recently changed the dose from 2 pills in a day to one pill.

Moxie D
HW405/SW360/CW173/GW165

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 267 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 742 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views