Two year update.

Jessyw
on 8/3/11 12:07 pm - polarbears&igloos, AK
 Hello everyone, 
I should have wrote this post a couple weeks ago. But lately I have a hard time getting time to sit at the computer and type everything up. On July 11Th 2009 I had my DS done in Brazil by the wonderful Dr. Marchesini. It was 2 months after my 17th birthday with my highest weight of 535 pounds. I remember everything very clearly, I remember waiting for them to wheel me to the operating room, it seems like just yesterday. Which blows my mind when I remember that it was over 2 years ago that my life was saved. 

I am doing wonderful, I cannot complain. My DS is still very strong even at 2 years out I can still feel the restriction in my stomach and I am still pretty bothered when it comes to white flour. I keep my carbs as low as possible and I try and keep up with my protein. I have to admit that sometimes I don't do that great of a job, but I at least still remember to try. 
Sometimes I do wonder if I developed IBS after my DS, because now I tend to have some severe pain in my intestines which I have to either take a pain med for or lay down for a while. This is a very unpleasant addition to my life, every time I first eat I expect horrible pain which usually is the case but it usually goes away once the food passes more through my system. Another thing that tends to happen frequently is my joints pop; as in my knees, shoulders, wrists, fingers, ankles, toes, elbows and even my hips. They just pop on their own with my movement, but when it comes to my hips I have to pop them myself or else I am really uncomfortable and in pain, it scares me when I pop them because its usually abrupt and a little painful and loud, but I always feel so much better after I pop them. Hopefully this is just happening because I am still loosing weight, I don't mind it but its kinda awkward when all you hear is "Pop, crack" every time I move lol. 

I am still doing school with my 4 year college scholarship waiting by my side. Everything there is going well and I am happy with my work. I've realized that this year is basically my last year for "relaxing" and just really living for once, all the years before this year I wasn't really living. I was just existing. But I am so happy to say that thanks to my DS and thanks to what the year brings I have been able to do things I've dreamed and longed for! 
Some of those things include:

-Riding a bike!! Oh my goodness, when I was younger all I wanted to do is ride my bike. Everywhere no matter what time, super fast, uphill, downhill and so on. But once I got to the weight where I couldn't ride my bike anymore, it broke my heart.  
I am happy to say that the other day my sister gave me her big pink old school bike and told me to ride it. I swear I panicked for 15-20 mins straight before I finally kicked off the ground and took off. I swear I was so scared that I almost forgot to petal lol! And of course I cried from happiness, nothing like seeing a grown person crying while riding a big pink bike lol! 

-Walk everywhere, multiple places without loosing my breath, pouring sweat or hurting like no other. I take full advantage of this ability now, I love doing things, I love going all over places and I love getting things done. 

-I love the way I can shop now, when its time for me to get smaller clothes (I am always loosing inches, it is very obvious.) I can go to multiple stores in the mall! I love this so much. I remember the other day I was trying on a shirt at Torrid and my friend (who works there) told me "Honey, I think you either need a size 1 or 0. 2-4 are way too big for you." MADE MY DAY! I have never in my life heard that before. So yea, I did buy a size 0!! Woot. I also bought my first pair of Jeggins' the jean leggings! And I am happy to say they look Sexyyy on me :D 

-Climb through my bedroom window when I get locked out on accident. My window is just right for me to be able to step up and get outside. These (one in my room, and one in my sisters room) are our fire escapes in case something ever happened. The house I live in is horrible and falling apart, I remember when I was very large I always knew that if something like a fire were to happen I wouldn't be able to make it out. That was always a fear in the back of my mind. Now I am happy to say that the other night when I was locked out, I was able to get through my window with ease! 
      Hello, my name is Jessica  I'm 20 and I got my DS!! check out my page. 

I love my DS!!!!   sw(535)/cw(220)/goal (?)
  Wanna learn about the DS? Come to the DS forum or check out these websites:
                  http://www.dsfacts.com/ OR http://www.duodenalswitch.com/
MomToTeens
on 8/3/11 12:19 pm - OH
Congratulations and how wonderful!

Susan
RNY:  05/24/2005     SW:  270, lowest:  190,  Back up to:  230
Revision to DS:  07/24/2011  SW:230/CW:181/GW:140

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"
Will Rogers

teachmid
on 8/3/11 12:39 pm - OKC, OK
You are such an inspiration!!!!
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Jessyw
on 8/3/11 12:43 pm - polarbears&igloos, AK
OH won't let me post the rest of my post with my pictures :( I've been trying over and over again. I might have to give it some time.
-Jessy
      Hello, my name is Jessica  I'm 20 and I got my DS!! check out my page. 

I love my DS!!!!   sw(535)/cw(220)/goal (?)
  Wanna learn about the DS? Come to the DS forum or check out these websites:
                  http://www.dsfacts.com/ OR http://www.duodenalswitch.com/
gak
on 8/3/11 1:04 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
Jessy,
CONGRATS ! What a great update. You have come a long way ! How are your labs doing ? Have you had them ? 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

sosoclark
on 8/3/11 1:27 pm - Sacramento, CA
Wow you have done a wonderful job. You give me so much hope

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/11 1:46 pm - San Jose, CA
You are doing wonderfully well, Jessy.  I am so proud of you!

So, now that it is August, and your last year of school begins, and you need to start applying for college soon with your big bad four year full scholarship, where in this big wide world are you going to try to go??  Are you hoping to leave Alaska?  East coast?  West coast?  Ivy League? Big school?  Small one?  Are you being recruited?  I'm so very excited for you!
J G.
on 8/3/11 3:12 pm
Jessy, let's address this pain after eating.  I would like to see you make a separate post about this, so that we can get you some help.  Is it after every meal?  Have your tried eating often (smaller amounts) and drinking often and regularly?  As far as the joints popping, I don't have a clue.  I would go see and orthopedic surgeon.

Congrats on the walking, biking, shopping and climbing through windows!!!

-Jenny 
Diane Davis
on 8/3/11 5:52 pm
Jessy, love this post on your 2 year surgiversary.  You have done such a wonderful job.  We have all fallen in love with you and are pulling for you, as well!

Keep posting, so we can watch you grow as a person.  We all enjoy sharing your life, your WOw's, and your future education with you!

You are quite an inspiration for the rest of us.

Hugs!
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
nightowl
on 8/3/11 6:03 pm - Topeka, KS
Thank you for the update -- good to hear from you again!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 146 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 688 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views