The burning anus

TheAlps
on 8/4/11 12:05 am - Atlanta, GA
Ominous sounding huh?

So I'm a year and 7 months out from my open DS. I had an anal fissure that while sort of healed got exacerbated from all the lovely DS 5+ poops a day. I had a fissurectomy and after 6 months (vs the 2 weeks they claimed!) its finally healed. But the anal burning continues.

I assume it's because of the many poops I do per day and the fact they are all soft, many even water and lots of bile (as the bypassed duodenum drains it's natural bile secretions), and that my booty is just built to deal with that.

Anyone else have that problem? I'm talking about burning in the anus every time I poop and it lingers for 30 mins or so afterwards. Not as painful as the fissure was of course but still really annoying to deal with every day five times or more....

Hendramy
on 8/4/11 12:57 am

I have that problem.  Had the surgery in June and now have an anal fistula that I'm having surgery on.

Your post makes me sad because I already feel like this is never going to heal, and it looks like it will be many more months, if I'm lucky.

Are you on an acid reducer or PPI?  I'm on a PPI and I know that helps the additional acid/bile in our feces.  Also extra sugar and caffeine can draw liquid into the bowel and cause more loose stool as well, so I know I need to watch any sugars (even/especially fruit) and coffee/tea intake.

Amy
HW 324/ SW 303/ CW 172/ GW130            
(deactivated member)
on 8/4/11 1:01 am - San Jose, CA
Acidic poop can happen, but it can also be controlled.  I'd be willing to bet you are eating stuff you shouldn't (well, shouldn't eat regularly anyway), or doing something else that can be fixed.  Between us, there are literally dozens of possible ways we can suggest for dealing with loose acidic stools.

Please write out IN DETAIL a couple of days worth of what you eat and drink.  Don't leave out anything, including gum - those "-itols" can be deadly.
freckled1
on 8/4/11 1:33 am
 Hi there.  Sorry you're dealing with this.  It most likely will go away with time.  Until you have things under control you could use diaper creme to protect the area.  Sounds wierd but try the white, thick stuff for babies when they get rashes, like Desitin.  It will help protect and sooth.

kirmy
on 8/4/11 2:31 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Sounds like your anal fissure has only healed on the opening of the anus...probably still open inside the rectum hence the burning.  I'm not getting the bile out your arse stuff!!  What are you eating to cause that many BM's?  Do you have bacterial overgrowth or C-Diff?  Have you had stool cultures taken?

If you're eating loads of chocolate, dairy (lactose intolerant) or processed carbs I get why you're having the multiple BM's but if you're not then your symptoms are pretty disturbing. 

I'd go the elimination diet if you haven't already.  Good luck with your burning ring of fire.

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
TheAlps
on 8/4/11 4:16 am - Atlanta, GA
Yea I certainly am un-structured in my eating habits, the main reason I chose DS over one of the others. I am drinking fruit juice once a day and occasional other sugar and I know thats bad. I drink a venti americano from starbucks every day, sometimes more. And while I enjoy eating whole foods, good meats, veggies and some fruit, omelets, etc I am a musician and composer and keep very odd, off-beat hours and sometimes a burger or something I know I will regret eating is the only option. Plus I cant stand the protein shakes so I just dont do them and shoot for getting my protein with meats and eggs. Im sure I am doing a bunch of stuff not well, and I cook too often with olive oil but over all I think I do fairly well considering. anyways I was just wondering if this is pretty common or if something more serious is likely. After the experience I had with the colon surgeon having my fissure chopped up, I have NO INTEREST to visit that guy again with his big sausage fingers investigating my exit pipe... but maybe I need to find another colo-rectal surgeon and see what he thinks. But Im sure it will lead to colonoscopy and I REALLLLLLYYYYYYY dont want to go through the prep for one of those, my butt hurts enough as is! lol

MarciRenee
on 8/4/11 4:28 am - IA
Ok just a few thoughts:

1.  You need to do an elimination diet to find out what is causing you to have 5+ poops a day.

2.  Diana asked for a DETAILED list of what you're eating.  You posted asking for help - she (and others) are offering that help but they need complete info to give you that help.

3.  I am hearing a lot of justifying of your eating habits.  You either want to get your ass issue under control or you don't.  It doesn't matter one way or the other to us - it isn't OUR ass that hurts.  And I DO know about ass pain.  So you are going to have to make a choice, at least in the short term.  Do you want to eat **** that will cause more ass pain or do you want to get rid of the ass pain?

4.  Olive oil = good for us.  Oil in general = good for us.  Unless you're having oil slicks a LOT, then you might want to cut back on the oil. I personally have to add it to my shakes to be able to poop.

5.  2 words.  CHIA SEEDS.  Yes those that you make a paste with and smear on a chia pet.  Add those to your diet and the will bulk up your poop and hopefully you will also go less often.

6.  If you need a colonoscopy - GO GET ONE.  The prep isn't that bad.  Just make sure that the know you're a WLS patient.  I had to do a "revised" prep that ended up being about 1/2 the normal amount of ****ty tasting liquid.  I was much more concerned with the prep than I needed to be, seriously.
Marci       
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/4/11 9:11 am
 I tend to eat a bit naughty too, but at least while this thing heals, try to behave. 

I've also had a few bouts with acidic poo, and in addition to what others have suggested, I cannot recommend moist flush-able wipes highly enough. I used some early after surgery with some burning poo, and now just keep using them because I like a sparkling clean butt. 

Something I've used in the past (and would now too, but it was installed in my last house, not this one) is a bidet. I've seen some post here that they got bidets that retrofit on your existing toilet, and love them. I'm thinking of getting one through Costco, that has adjustable pressure, and water directions, and has heated water AND seat. Aaah. Clean AND warm. Nothing is better than that, except maybe MORE COW BELL!

sweetpotato1959
on 8/4/11 2:49 pm
 Here are a few of things to try...I have had this and it is not fun!
        . reduce the olive oil you  use by half...a little goes a long way.
            also reduce your fruit juice to half strength, use selser water  in it, or distilled water  in it..
            .Try a pepcid over the counter in Rx strength, 30 mg for two or three days...
                   .cut the burgers that are  made any where but home. use ground chuck or ground round, and use  garlic or onion powder instead of raw onion.  
               Cut the milk for a few days..at least 5,. then add only one serving a day until you find your  tolerance level........
             Hold the banana's... they don't digest well for many people....
            These are the most common offenders...and that starbucks coffee would be enough to give me  the acid butt.... butt .....if you make sure to use some lactose free milk in it, it reduces the acid effects...(that means you have to take it with you...plan ahead.
        You can control this, but you must find your offending food...
          .just add back those foods one serving , and one food at a time,gradually you should be able to go back to a similar routine without bad effects.   hope these tips help.
jass28
on 8/4/11 6:42 am - A Town, NJ

Yes I have that problem from time to time and what cures me is using my baby's triple paste butt cream.  Go to babies r us and buy triple paste.  It's amazing for babies and us :).

339/318.6/125/155/165
SW/SW/LW/CW/GW      
Revision from Lapband to DS and Had healthy post-op baby, LOVE MY DS!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 258 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views