Pre made VS. powdered protien drinks

butercup
on 8/8/11 3:09 pm - Kennewick, WA
I currently am pre op and I drink the Optimum Nutrition pre made chocolate shakes everyday.  My surgeon told me that after the surgery I will need to drop them and switch to the powder kind.  I asked why and he said that the pre made ones don't absorb as well as the powder. 

Are you all of the same opinion or have had the same advice?  Do any of you drink the pre mixed and do fine on your labs?

I only ask because I have a bunch of these drinks, I like them, and I want to use them during my liquid phase because they are a good consistency.  I don't want to waste them and I would like to continue buying them.

We submit for approval on the 12th!!  Cross your fingers. :)

beemerbeeper
on 8/8/11 3:16 pm - AL
What kind of protein are they?  How many protien grams and how many carbs per drink? And how many ounces are they?  A 12 oz drink would have been overwhelming to me early out.  I would make a 3-4 oz shake and did good to drink half of it.

And don't be surprised if what you love now you HATE after surgery.  Most people report major changes in their tastes.  That is why we suggest getting several different samples from Vita Lady to try after your surgery because it is impossible to tell now what you will or won't like then.

~Becky

elixir
on 8/8/11 6:53 pm - MI
Grand Health Partners, the clinic Dr. Kemmeter works out of, has a store inside that sells both powder and pre-made protein shakes.I think that most of them are whey protein isolate based. Is it possible that your Optimum Nutrition are not and he wants you to focus on the isolates? (Sorry, I don't know anything about Optimum Nutrition.)

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

butercup
on 8/9/11 9:42 am - Kennewick, WA
His whole thing is no pre mixed, that's it.  I think it's silly, but he says that it goes through your system too quickly and you absorb the powders you mix yourself better.
Pupcake !.
on 8/9/11 12:24 am - Stranded in, IA
I'm not familiar with Optimum ready to drink.

You need to check the calories and the carbs. 

When pre-op 200 calories 30 carbs  seems small- post op you shoot for 100-150Kcal and 5-10g carbs.

Pup

No surgery has been harmed/defamed by the writer of this post.  
RNY 10/28/03 305# 8/11/04 147#  9 years out and >75% EWL!

(deactivated member)
on 8/9/11 5:04 am
 Just for your information: we don't need to worry about calories. So how many Kcals a protein drink has is not important, how much protein and how many carbs is.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/9/11 2:57 am
 I have never heard that, and when I drink the Oh Yeah powder or premixed ones, the numbers are all the same. 

I'm wondering if you are not comparing apples to apples maybe? Like, are the premix ones a different type of protein than the powder, say whey versus calogen or something? Some types of protein are much more boiavailble to us than others.
butercup
on 8/9/11 6:16 am - Kennewick, WA
It's 11 oz 30g protein 5g carbs it's milk protein isolate and whey protein concentrate.

What my question is isn't about so much what I'm drinking right now. I want to know if there really is a difference if it's pre mixed versus powder you mix yourself. My surgeon told me not to drink the pre mix and to just get the powder variety. He said the pre mix stuff wont absorb as well.

(deactivated member)
on 8/9/11 7:16 am
 I would call him on his opinion, because I think he is full of it.
If the label states what kind of protein is in the pre-made shake then I don't see what difference it makes if it's pre-made or not.
30g of protein and 5 carbs is pretty good, at least better then Atkins shakes. Also if it says protein isolate before the concentrate then that's good also.

butercup
on 8/9/11 9:51 am - Kennewick, WA
That's what I think.  I also think you're the only one that really read what I was asking!   Maybe I wasn't clear, but I think I was.

It's not about anything but pre mixed and powder you mix yourself.  I like opening it up and it's done.  I also like the consistency better than powders.  Yes powders have there place and are highly customizable, but I still like the premixed.  And I am aware that my tastes might change. 

It's like cans of premade baby formula compared to powder baby formula.  It's the same stuff, one is just more expensive and a little better.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 258 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 246 views