Getting a "script" for your vites to pay from Healthcare FSA

levittown_loser
on 8/16/11 11:40 pm - Levittown, PA
Since the changes in the requirements to get vites / proteins etc. and many other OTC meds covered under a health care spending account requiring a "script" from a doctor to be covered ... I have not bothered.    I used to just need to submit a note from my doctor saying I needed them for medical treatment of a condition ... duration .. life.     I would fax this with my vite bills and it would be paid from the FSA account. 

Has anyone gotten a "script" from their docs for their vites?   Was it pretty general or was it specific?   Can you resubmit the same script each time your order vites if they are all listed or do you need a current new script?   I think I read you can't use a script dated after the purchase date of an item or it will be denied.

Any insites?    Needless to say it's Aug. and since I have not been billing my vites out of my account I have 2K to spend before the end of the year.    I need to make some purchases before time runs out and lose my money :)  

Thanks!   I want to make this as easy as possible :)
Tom

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

buffalobillsfan
on 8/16/11 11:51 pm, edited 8/16/11 11:52 pm - CA
Hi Tom,
I have a letter from my doctor stating I have a condition that requires supplementation for life.  It spells out everything and includes my protein shakes (see below).  I sent the letter in to be on file but I also send it in with each submission just to save the hassle.  I haven't had any issues with reimbursement.  Look over the list of items they allow you to write off and you may be surprised to find ones you never knew about.  Include tax and shipping if you pay it.  Lastly, mileage for doctors visits.  

Cheers,
Cathy 
Vitamin A
Vitamin D
Vitamin E
Vitamin K
Multi Vitamin
Calcium
Iron
Probiotics
Zinc
Biotin
Boron
Chelated Copper
Magnesium Citrate
B12 (methyl)
Vitamin C
Vectomega
Premier Protein Shakes
Devrom

Ellen G.
on 8/17/11 12:25 am - Bensalem, PA
Tom, I did get a script.  I actually got this from Maggie.  I gave her a list of all my vites and doses, as well as how much protein I supplement with a day.  I sent this to my FSA provider and no issues. 
gak
on 8/17/11 12:37 am
Revision on 06/21/13
Tom,
I pulled my copy of my script and it states... .. "Patient needs to take vitamins and protein supplements as directed to medical diagnosis.  Also needs hot tub/hydro therapy, therapeutic massage due to fibromyalgia and arthritis"

LOL, she pretty much covers it all in one prescription. She just writes it on a script each year. Our tax accountant recommended I get a new one each year, so the IRS can't question it either, just cover all bases. This also means chemicals and maintenance of the hot tub is covered !  Now if it would just cool off so we can turn the hot tub back on, it;s been too hot to use it ! 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

sassyjonz
on 8/17/11 8:49 am - Atlanta, GA
Hi Tom!  My FSA has a form for Letter of Medical Necessity that I had my surgeon fill out and I just added all the vits and supplements I thought I would be buying.  I only have to do this once at the beginning of the year and they keep it on file for when I send in my receipts.

If your FSA doesn't have such a form, you could probably write a letter and list all your vits and have your doc sign it.

Lia

Starting weight & height: 265/5' 8.5; Goal weight: 160; Current weight: 155

GoBlue
on 8/17/11 1:04 pm
Interesting answers...my FSA does not require a script but refers to the letter on file that I need vitamins & supplements due to surgery.  Whatever vitamin or herb I buy is ok...but they  will no longer cover any protein supplements,  not even with a script.
Kathy

Counting down to PS with Dr S  on 10-15-11 
Margaret W.
on 8/19/11 1:18 am - TX
Have any Dr Stewart patients been able to arrange this?  I may need to call in to this office and see if this is something they are willing to do.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 105 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 655 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views