Why do I need to take Prilosec?

sherryatlarge
on 8/19/11 7:50 am - TX
I took Nexium for 4 weeks after surgery.  I was suppose to take prilosec after that but have been hesitating because I heard it was bad.

Can someone please set me straight?

Sherry
  I feel like I'm in a dream.        
(deactivated member)
on 8/19/11 9:28 am - Beverly, NJ
Whats wrong with Prilosec? I LOVE it!
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/19/11 9:33 am
You need to take an acid blocker for 6 months post op to keep your stomach acid down. Acid reflux is very common early out (I sure did, omg it was not happiness), I think keeping the stomach acid down also helps the tummy heal. Smaller tummy = nowhere for extra acid to go but "up"... Major ouchies and this also makes it difficult to eat.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

newyorkbitch
on 8/19/11 10:09 am
And in some cases people need to take it indefinitely.  There is no 6 month rule...it varies from person to person.  
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/19/11 10:29 am
Yes, this is true. If you need it after 6 months, you're supposed to keep taking it. YMMV.

I'm still taking it at 8 mos. I stopped at month 6, but then my tummy got tempermental and went back on it after a 2 week hiatus.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

newyorkbitch
on 8/19/11 10:08 am
Why is it bad?  I take prilosec every day,  have done so for years,  don't plan to stop.  It's a great drug.
sherryatlarge
on 8/19/11 11:22 am - TX
It's just that it says on the box not to take it for more that 14 days. 

I guess that's for normal people!  Not DSer's.

Sounds like I better go get some.

Now, what about probiotics???  I'm so not with it yet.

Sherry
southernlady5464
on 8/19/11 11:28 am
Sherry, the 14 day rule is for those diagnosing themselves not for those being diagnosed by a doctor. I've been on a PPI (in my case protonix) for over 8 years. Since I also take celebrex, I do the PPI to protect my stomach, normal or DS. But as a DS'er, it's even more critical to make sure it's healed.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/19/11 11:32 am, edited 8/19/11 11:32 am
I think just about every OTC has that 14 day disclaimer to cover their ass. Dr. Stu probably instructed you to take one a day for the first 6 months, yes? I'm sure he'd explain why if you wanted to know the details, but you should follow the good doc's orders- Dr. Stewart won't lead you astray.

Probiotics sometime help normalize the stink and BMs, and some people feel better after taking them. Try em, see how well it works fr you.

sherryatlarge
on 8/19/11 12:03 pm - TX

Yes, he said one a day for six months.  I'll start :)

What is the probotic ya'll use?
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 291 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 763 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 254 views