Migraines+DS+Topamax?

sassyjonz
on 8/24/11 8:04 am - Atlanta, GA
Hi Julie!  Like most everyone else, I took Topomax for about 4 years.  Prior to my DS, it did cause me to lose about 20lbs when I first started taking it.  I never noticed any cognitive effects although I can't say I didn't have any for sure, 

Prior to DS I was taking 100mg a day and after my DS the migraines got worse until I increased my Topomax dosage to 150mg.  I just in the last month tapered off and stopped taking it,  I haven't noticed any weight gain yet and I have always had menstrual migraines and that never changed even with the Topomax.  I sought consult from a GYN who specializes in hormones and he said I was estrogen dominant and put me on progresterone. That helped for a little while but after about 4 months, the migraines were just as bad as they always were.

I hope Topomax helps your hormone related migraines but it didn't help mine.

Lia

Starting weight & height: 265/5' 8.5; Goal weight: 160; Current weight: 155

Julie R.
on 8/24/11 12:17 pm - Ludington, MI
 Thanks Lia....by the way - you're looking FINE!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

sassyjonz
on 8/25/11 8:14 am - Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the props Julie!

Starting weight & height: 265/5' 8.5; Goal weight: 160; Current weight: 155

Jolly Rancher
on 8/24/11 12:30 pm
I don't suffer from migraines, thankfully, but was prescribed Topamax some time back. I truly believe the term Dopamax is accurate. I took it exactly one time. It was suggested to take it near bedtime for the first dose to see how I would react. I happened to be on the phone, and within 20 minutes of taking it, I could no longer find words to make a sentence. My mind kinda knew what I wanted to say, but the words would not come. That was my first and last experience with it.
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
KellyJTn
on 8/25/11 11:45 am - Oak Ridge, TN
I've suffered from migraines since I was 7 years old and been on a ton of different prescriptions over the years, including Topamax. It didn't touch my migraines, or prevent them from happening. Pre-DS I  was getting 2 maybe 3 migraines a week. Now, I get maybe 3 a month, and Excedrin Migraine cures them better than any RX I've ever taken. I couldn't stand the side effects of the Topamax. It made me feel weird, and it made everything I drank taste really bad. I never experienced memory loss or weight loss with it though. The drink thing was by far the most annoying of it all.

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150             

Elizabeth N.
on 8/25/11 12:16 pm - Burlington County, NJ
I took it pre DS, ramped up the dose too fast for my already fuzzy brain and went bonkers. Then ramped DOWN too fast for even fuzzier + bonkers brain to get off. Bottom line was that I lost six months of my life to that damned drug. Did squat for ANYTHING I hoped it would help, including migraines. That drug and my brain  bits don't get along at all.

Julie R.
on 8/25/11 12:20 pm - Ludington, MI
 That does it - I'm not even going to try it.    Thanks all, for your very honest input.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 262 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 740 views