I HATE weighing in

Sher Bear Mama
on 8/26/11 12:48 am
So, today, I am attending a class from the Kaiser "NO" Options program that I'm desperately trying to get out of.  The very first thing they do is weigh us in. We stand in a line like cattle and they weigh us one by one.  I HATE being weighed--especially when it's a cattle call and we're only numbers to the people who are weighing us.  They want to see the numbers going down before surgery. 

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm doing all that I can to drop some weight before surgery. I weigh 250 and have PCOS so it's a little tough to get this weight off.  So, it's not the weight loss I'm bothered by (though I know that in the state of CA they can't make me lose weight prior to surgery). I'm just adverse to the scale itself.  I walk every day--uphill and down.  I have been eating a low carb diet as well.  But I don't like the scale because I don't think the number matters much.  I hear them tell the patients in the class, "Oh, no weight loss this week, too bad." Or, "OH, this week you GAINED two pounds. Do better next week."  I'd feel so bad if I were in those shoes.  Since I don't weigh myself at home, I have no idea if I've lost any weight this week.  But I do know that to me it doesn't matter.  As long as I walk and eat right before surgery, I know I'm doing the right thing.  I just wish Kaiser would leave me alone. 

Still awaiting a decision from the CA Department of Managed Health Care (DMHC) to get them to force Kaiser to waive the classes and weight loss.  Until then, I suck it up and get in line behind the rest of the sheep.

Thanks for letting me rant.
Sher-
Sher--the bear mama

newyorkbitch
on 8/26/11 1:15 am
A long time ago I was in this type of situation.  When it was my turn,  I simply told the person doing the weighing not to say a word to me, that I was not interested in the number or the weight loss/gain,  and I didn't even look at the scale. 
beemerbeeper
on 8/26/11 1:35 am - AL
I don't think I could have done what you are doing.  I am proud of you and am sending you a big hug.

~Becky

Sher Bear Mama
on 8/26/11 2:00 am
Sher Bear Mama
on 8/26/11 2:03 am
Thanks Becky. I think I actually FELT that hug.

Sher-
Sher--the bear mama

scoob
on 8/26/11 2:15 am - Somerset, KY
I don't agree with the "lining" you all up deal. That aside SOON, very soon, you'll love weighing and seeing that number drop. I know it seems like forever away right now but it'll be here before you know it and this will have just been a "bump" in the road to get there! HUGS

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/26/11 2:19 am - Tuvalu

I think it's just another way to intimidate people out of having surgery.

i know people who stand "backwards" on the scale.  They refuse to be where they can see the numbers.

Good luck on that appeal.

Nurse N.
on 8/26/11 4:44 am
I agree with Sue. It's some people who would have to go through with that and just say forget it. So humiliating and degrading. Glad you are tough enough to go through with it. By any means necessary to get that DS!

Nika

Lapband September 2007------>Revision to Duodenal Switch September 6, 2011

*A SETBACK IS AN OPPORTUNITY FOR A COMEBACK!

Sher Bear Mama
on 8/26/11 8:13 am
Thanks Nika!
Sher--the bear mama

(deactivated member)
on 8/26/11 7:37 am
I had to do that when I got my band and I just told the nurse "I don't want to know what that says, it demotivates me regardless if I'm up or down, so please don't say anything just log it".  I would then step on backwards and be on my way. 

Almost over girlie!  Halfway there!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 258 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 246 views