So, I guess I'm a big fat snob

butercup
on 8/26/11 12:37 pm - Kennewick, WA
I've been trying to read over on the main board to expand my wls horizons and friend potential.  I need to stop.  It's driving me crazy.  There are some cool people, but there is one thing I just can't get past.  What sticks out to me are the people that have just gotten their surgery or are wanting one and they're doing it wrong.  All I can think is, you are making/made a dumb choice.  See you in a few years after you revise to the DS. 

I'm a surgery snob.  A big FAT surgery snob.   I especially can't stand the people that want a band.  WHY!!??  Have you not researched anything?  Oh, you haven't....well, you should.  Mostly my snobbery is aimed at RNY and Band people.  I can't believe I ever wanted both of those surgeries at one time in my life. Not at the same time mind you.  Oh yes, I fancied myself a band person once or twice.

I know that my mother in law with her RNY thinks she's the one that made the smart surgery type choice.  Also my sister in law with her band believes she is best.  We shall see, oh we shall see.

Anyway, done with my *****in.  Keep on keepin' on DS'ers. 

P.S. Still waiting for my approval to come through.  Should hear next week.
Victorious_one
on 8/26/11 12:45 pm - South Central, PA

I'm sure you're not the only person who feels snobbish over there.  It's hard not to when you've got a great surgery! 

There are lots of people with other surgeries *****spect the DS and who love to help support you on your journey.  Definitely reach out to them!

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
Nurse N.
on 8/26/11 12:53 pm
That is exactly why I don't go to the main boards that often, because I tend to want to yell at the top of my lungs...you freaking IDIOTS! So that's why I stay right where I can get some DS love!!!

Smooches,

Nika

Lapband September 2007------>Revision to Duodenal Switch September 6, 2011

*A SETBACK IS AN OPPORTUNITY FOR A COMEBACK!

elixir
on 8/26/11 2:14 pm - MI
Haha! I love it. I often think the same thing. And while I want to pay it forward and tell them they should be getting the DS, I try to respect their decisions (made with poor judgment) and keep in mind that the DS is a big commitment which means it's not for everyone.

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

MsBatt
on 8/26/11 2:49 pm
I too feel sorry for people who want a Band, and for people who don't know there are actually FOUR forms of WLS. I'm also sorry for people whose insurance gives them little choice.

But let's keep in mind that the DS really IS NOT for everyone. Yes, it's the most effective, but it's also the most demanding, in the sense that it absolutely REQUIRES you to stay on top of things. Not just taking your vites, but also it's important to NEVER STOP LEARNING. Some people can't handle that.

It also requires you to be able to speak up to authority figures, like doctors, nurses, lab techs, phlebotomists, etc. Some people can't handle that.

There's no shame in admitting one's limits. Anyone who can't handle life-long supplements, research, speaking up to explain a little-known surgery---should choose somethig other than the DS.
newyorkbitch
on 8/27/11 8:10 am
Amen.
Sher Bear Mama
on 8/26/11 3:23 pm
Here is my take (if you want it).  I agree that I wish more people knew about the DS and made informed decisions about their surgery choice after understanding that there are more choices than just the RNY and VSG.  When I was admitted to Kaiser's bariatric program I didn't go to kaiser to find out what procedures they covered.  Instead, I went on-line to research my options.  When I came across the DS I was intrigued but only enough to do MORE research.  It took me some time and study to come to the conclusion that the DS is right for me.  I'm a loud-mouth, research crazy, medication-compliant, OCD person.  I concluded that I could handle the life-long requirements to keep me alive and well.  But I don't think it's for everyone.  I have a friend who is getting the RNY and she's not interested in the DS.  She just wants something "simple" (as if)and doesn't want to have to speak up and make changes based on research rather than on what the doctors recommend.    She goes by what her doctors tell her and she's just following along as they wish.  She'd definitely not be a good candidate for the DS.  I don't blame her for her decisions.  It's right for her.  And the DS is right for me.

So, I don't think you're a surgery snob.  I just think you need to take a step back and look at the big picture.  The DS is right for some, the RNY is right for some, the Sleeve is right for some, and the band is right for some.  It's not black and white.  The thing that ****** ME OFF is that people don't know enough to research what types of surgeries are available to them!  I never make decisions just by what doctors, NUTS, or teachers tell me.  But, that's what makes me so right for the DS.  I do my research!

I'll be sending lots of happy thoughts for your approval!  If it doesn't go through, there is always another way to get what you need.  I'm fighting my ass off for the DS! Please post when you hear back on the decision!

Sorry for the rant.  This is a great thread!
Sher-

Sher--the bear mama

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/26/11 6:13 pm
 Oh good lord, it read the title and thought, "you don't bother with canola now, only butter".  Only in the mind of a DSer.

I have gotten sort of fat snobby, but it really is with fat. If it isn't butter, then let it be olive oil, avocado, or nuts. No more hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated **** 

Now I'm off to eat mouthfuls of veggies dipped in homemade salad dressing, that is crazy fat!

butercup
on 8/27/11 2:45 am - Kennewick, WA
LOL!  No, I mean fat like my behind is the size of a dump truck! Hahaha!  I like your take though too. :)  I love butter and I can't wait to get back to it.  I'm still low fat low carb.
(deactivated member)
on 8/26/11 8:52 pm - Bayonne, NJ
If the main board makes you cringe, the revision board will make you cry. The number of people who choose a band over bypass or *****vise from a band to an rny is scary. Then there's the people who go the ROSE or Stomaphyx route. Ugh!

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 38 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 38 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 617 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 226 views