Hurricane Tips for Neophytes

goodkel
on 8/26/11 12:16 pm
Since Irene will heading north towards areas less experienced with hurricanes, I have a few helpful tips that go beyond the usual stock up on batteries, water, and the like.

If you don't have a phone charger for your car, get one. Especially if you don't have a land line, it may be the only way to charge your phone if you are without power for a week.

In that same vein, remove your screen saver and customized ring tones. Text when you can instead of calling. Calls, ring tones, and wallpaper eat a lot of power.

If you only have a land line, the roam type phones won't work when the power goes out. Go to a discount store and buy a cheap (they run from $5-$15) phone that plugs directly into the phone outlet only.

Get supplies EARLY. Stores run out of stock and deliveries stop when drivers can't make it back home long ahead of the storm.

If they run out of water, get a small kiddie pool and fill that with water. They say to fill your tub, but even with new stoppers, I've always had that drain away in a day or two. I've had good luck with those hard (ish) plastic round pools. They're on sale now, too.

Start filling your cooler with ice from your own freezer. I take gallon zip lock baggies, fill with water, and freeze into big ice blocks. They last longer and ice will be scarce in the stores after the fact if you can find any stores open.

Store an ax and a bag of water and canned goods (with opener) in the attic. If you have to go there because of flooding, you'll have supplies and a way out if the water keeps rising. I also have a small inflatable boat and a battery operated inflating thingy. It's only a water toy, but it floats.

If they tell you to evacuate DO IT. And always use a surgeon vetted on DSFacts.com.

Hurricane veterans, feel free to add your own. I'm always looking for good ideas myself.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Diane Davis
on 8/26/11 12:34 pm
Wonderful advice!
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
KarenFlorida
on 8/26/11 1:02 pm - Orlando, FL
Make sure your car has a full tank of gas. Gas stations cannot pump gas for you if the power is out after the storm. You will want your car to get from place to place, of course, but also as a cell phone charger and a place to cool off once in a while.

If you have a gas grill, get propane for it. You can use the grill to cook leftover meat from your fridge/freezer once the storm is over, before it spoils. You can also heat things in a saucepan on the grill.

I agree with making as much ice... ice cubes, ice blocks, plastic milk jugs of ice, etc...as possible. Great idea about the ziplock bags with frozen water. Good one! It will be hot with no electricity...having cold drinks makes it easier. youcan also freeze the individual bottlea of water; use them as ice cubes and then drink them once they are thawed. Turn the AC as cold as you can stand it...you will freeze, but your house will stay cool longer once power shuts off. Turn your fridge and freezer to the coldest settings too.

Make sure you have a radio and extra batteries. Battery powered lantern will light a whole room, plus a flashlight for each family member. It gets extremely dark at night with no power. Candles are dangerous...lots of fires occur after hurricanes due to candles tipping over or placed too close to curtains, etc.

If you are in a hard-hit area, stores will not be open for a while after the storm passes. Plan for food and water for several days after storm passes. Kiddie pool of water is a great idea. If your water system is shut down, you will need to pour a bucket of water into the toilet to flu**** You might also need water to bathe. Take that into account as well.

Plan a "safe room" (usually an interior room of your house) in case windows start breaking. Place food/water/pet supplies and crates/radio/flashlight/change of clothes/blankets in this room in case you need to go there in a hurry. You may have to stay in the safe room for hours. There can be tornadoes with hurricanes as well. If there is flooding, you may need to go to the attic; see goodkel's post about that. She is right about the axe. If your home is flooded, your only exit might be thru the roof.

Well, I'm sure this all sounds pretty scary! Sorry! I've been through many hurricanes and I'm still around....but good prep is key to decrease your misery and stay safe.

If they tell you to evacuate, do it!! If you have pets, load them in the car and drive!!!! Remember Katrina!

Karen
Join me! weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

goodkel
on 8/26/11 3:02 pm
These are GREAT!

Absolutely buy extra propane or plenty of charcoal if you don't have a gas grill. There were many block parties after Isabel with all the neighbors cooking and sharing their thawing meat.

If you don't have a cooler, the tub of your washing machine will do in a pinch. When the ice melts, the water will just drain away and the metal will help keep it cold.

Definitely NO candles. Not only are they a fire hazard, but they create more heat. It can be tiring holding a flashlight trying to read or play a board game. Those florescent camping lanterns are inexpensive and the light is not so narrowly focused. I also have a few small rectangular, battery operated florescent closet lights. Very inexpensive and perfect to keep in the kitchen and bathroom so you can use your hands.

If you wouldn't leave a child behind, don't leave your pets, either. If the nearest shelter doesn't take them, they will be able to direct you to a shelter that does. Your pets will be safer on high ground in your car than left behind in any case.

Thanks, Karen!
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

beemerbeeper
on 8/26/11 1:49 pm - AL
PLAN FOR YOUR PETS!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 8/26/11 4:03 pm - San Jose, CA
Holy crap!  The ax in the attic made me realize just how scary that could be!

I'm trying to remember how close your house is to the water - are you likely to get flooded that high there?  When is the storm supposed to hit you?  Is it a party at your house, or scary?  Thinking about you and your friends!  And is Nancy going to be OK where she lives?
goodkel
on 8/26/11 5:50 pm
The Chesapeake Bay is one mile to the east and about 1.5 miles to the north of me. A tributary of it, Little Creek, runs behind the houses across the street from me.

But, oddly, for a place that's barely above sea level, I'm on one of the higher points. The lady across the street has had water lapping against her back door, but as yet it hasn't reached this far. Level 1-3, I'm probably good. I'd leave for a 4 or 5.

No party. I'm alone with three dogs (Karen is in Philly and I've got River) and Chloe the cat, who is likely blaming me for the scary weather. I made Nathan stay with his Mom to take care of things there.

Nancy's house is on a marsh and she has evacuated to a hotel further inland already.

The outer ring of the hurricane is here now, heavy rain, wind gusts. But, the main body isn't expected until Saturday afternoon/early evening. It is a level 2 now, but it could be a 1 by the time it reaches us. *knock wood*
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

J G.
on 8/26/11 4:35 pm
Get your prep done way in advance so that you can be well rested for when the hurricane is approaching, because you never know what emergency you are going to encounter.   

Plan in advance for how your doggie will potty.  Some will use a pee pad.  During one slow moving hurricane we were able to go out quickly as the eye was over us.  Emphasis on quickly.  Use caution and common sense. You may also have to limit their water after a certain time.  Just remember to return it to them as soon as possible.

During one hurricane something happened to our sewer system and we could not flush toilets.  I always plan a homemade port-a-potty.  One of those strong tall buckets with a kids potty seat on top.  And a supply of bags to use a liners. 

Store important papers and photos in water-tight containers.

I always buy tons of the big garbage bags for clean up after wards.  And some blue tarps and rolls of plastic sheeting for roof leaks, etc.  DH always goes out after  and clears street drains and checks
on elderly neighbors.  Let out of state relatives know that even cell phones may not work.
goodkel
on 8/26/11 5:27 pm
Great tips! Thanks!

We also have a prearranged meeting point in another city at a friend's house in case we lose touch evacuating. We also have a contact person out of state in case we can't get through to each other locally. We're all supposed to touch base with her so she can forward the info to anyone who can't reach us.
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

(deactivated member)
on 8/26/11 5:50 pm - Beverly, NJ
From someone who is preparing to be flooded out in the next day or two:

PREPARE YOUR VITAMINS AND PROTEIN!

I have all of my vitamins (opened and unopened) in multiple ziplock bags (moisture is a ***** for some of our vites) and all in a book bag so I can grab and keep with me. Same for my protein. The running joke in my house is if all else fails and theres no food left I have enough protein to keep my family afloat for a few days.

I never thought to stock up on ice with ziplock bags and jugs. Getting on that now!!! My tub and sinks are filled with water. I magically grabbed the wrong batteries for my flashlights so first thing in the morning I'm hitting the store for more (lets pray they have some left)

Thanks for the great ideas!!!

I have to admit I'm a little scared. Mostly because of the water. We live about 5 blocks from the Delaware river (you can see it from my porch) and I'm scared of the flooding. We live on the main floor of a house turned into apartments and dont have access to the top floors since there is no one living up there now and of course my landlord isn't answering his phone so I can ask for the key. Although trust me we will be breaking down the door to get up there if we have too.

I have Clear's internet hot spot so if we have to evacuate I'll be able to still connect online. Speaking of computers: just like you protect birth certificates and such you should think about whats stored in your computer. I'm using my netbook to connect right now. My computer tower is on high ground to try and protect my pictures and storage on there.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 270 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 745 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views