Does anyone use activated charcoal/carbon?

Twi light
on 9/10/11 7:56 am - NY
I am just curious if there are any dangerous to using this with a DS. It just works extremely well for me to eliminate gas and bloating, especially when it is unexpected.

I had some radishes today and that was just all sorts of fail- i have no idea why  as they are mostly water anyways, but for whatever reason my stomach hates radishes now , or today, ill try again in a few weeks prolly.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 9/10/11 8:45 am
It's not like the charcoal is toxic or anything, but since it works by absorbing things, it also absorbs some of your nutrients. 

Since I actually pay money for my vites, and have followed my labs to get and keep things adjusted, I'd be leery of taking charcoal for very long for fear it would mess up my levels.

Have you tried taking good yogurt, and/or kefir every day?
mrsannie
on 9/10/11 11:22 am
I used to use it and it worked really well for too. I also found it helps later on with the smell if you know what I mean  ;)

I posted something on this a while ago and got the same answer about it blocking some of vitamins, which I didn't know, so I kinda stoped using it.  But it did work well and as long as it's in moderation and not right after you take your vits, you should be OK.

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
Anna G.
on 9/10/11 1:50 pm
Charcoal does a really good job of absorbing anything in your system before it can affect you. That's why they use it when someone overdoses on drugs. I think that it's a really, really bad idea for a DS'er to take charcoal because it will render your supplementation useless, and it is your supplementation that will keep you alive.

The only reason I ever use charcoal is if I have food poisoning.

J G.
on 9/10/11 3:33 pm
I use it for special occassions when I don't want to have any gas or stink and then I take it in the middle of the night away from any other pills
Twi light
on 9/11/11 12:48 am - NY
This is really how i was thinking of using it , for special ocassions, or when i feel bloaty/gassy and must go somewhere public.

I only used the stuff maybe a handful of times before DS, so i was not planning on using it daily. 

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/11 5:12 am, edited 9/11/11 5:13 am - Santa Cruz, CA
If you're just trying to deal with the stinky emissions, use Devrom, a chewable deodorant available online.  I just chew about 3 tabs and it takes care of the problem, without effecting the absorbtion of other vitamins and minerals.

I don't have to use it so much anymore, but I do keep it on hand for emergencies!

Also, check to make sure you're not taking in too many sugar alcohols;  those are any of the aritficial
sweetners that end in "OL" such as malitol, sorbitol, etc, and they really can do a number on your digestion.

Good luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 256 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 737 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views