How Do You All Do With Salads?

Janet P.
on 9/13/11 8:53 pm
I try to eat salad at least once a week because I love them but unfortunately they don't always love me. Actually had one yesterday and it wasn't too bad. We have a great salad bar at work so I did minimal lettuce, some different veggies (no tomatoes but love beets), tons of protein (hard boiled eggs, shredded cheese, ham & chicken), and lots of yummy regular salad dressing - yesterday was 1000 Island.

This tread just proves that we're all so different.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Lucy M.
on 9/13/11 10:42 pm - Conway, SC
Hi Sandy.

I was able to eat salads (all types) within a month after my revision.

I have a salad daily at lunchtime - add my protein to the top of the salad and mix with dressing.

I love blue cheese too. I always add raw onion to my salads.

A relative of mine had the gastric sleeve only in February and still has a hard time with salads. And she is a salad lover.

Hope you are well.

Lucy

484.8/383.4/241/188/150 
                  Sexy 
Pre-op/RNY day/pre DS day/current/goal-  Realize Band 5/15/08; RNY 6/8/05, Removal Band and RNY to DS 8/25/10. RNY & Band surgeon was Dr. Guske.

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/11 10:56 pm
Ditto loving salads especially protein-loaded with full-fat dressing.  For me it is pretty much salad in, salad out (sometimes within the hour) so whether or not I have a large salad depends on my schedule. 

I am convinced my gut has its own time-space continuum complete with an HOV lane for veggies.  My intestinal tract is certainly not linear.  Salad doesn't "push" everything in front of it out like a plunger.  It skirts by unscathed and collects its $200 for passing go at the end.  Now there's a thought!  Monopoly DS Edition!  Anyone? 
Elizabeth N.
on 9/13/11 11:37 pm - Burlington County, NJ

Most of the time I do fine now. It took quite some time to get here, a fair amount of trial and error. The errors were/are pretty gross.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/13/11 11:55 pm - Tuvalu

IMHO, I prefer to take up valuable real estate (my stomach) with something that offers SOMETHING in return...and lettuce does not seem to do that.

So, I order a salad, tell the server that I *KNOW* they will think I'm crazy and they might be right...but I'd like the lettuce in one bowl/on one plate/whatever and all the other parts of the salad in another bowl/on another plate. 

And I tend toward cobb salads because those, I think, give the most protein and variety.  Chef's salads are my next favorite.

mel1964
on 9/14/11 12:08 am
salads used to make me run to the bathroom, but now i can tolerate greens and they keep things moving, it also helps when you order and they give me a strange look and order only meat and no sides! i love greek salad and i order extra cheese and extra chicken, with oil and vinegar dressing, cobb and antipasta salad are great also.

KellyJTn
on 9/14/11 12:45 am - Oak Ridge, TN
My body tolerates salads just the same as it did before. I try to eat them atleast once a week when I get a craving. I'll add deli ham or turkey into mine for protein, along with cheese and other random things. The lettuce sits perfectly.

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150             

(deactivated member)
on 9/14/11 2:17 am - Bayonne, NJ
I can't handle most salads. I can't have spinach at all. Most lettuce goes right through me. If I coat everything with a lot of dressing it seems to help slightly, but I generally stay away from salads.
(deactivated member)
on 9/14/11 2:43 pm, edited 9/14/11 2:44 pm
Twi light
on 9/14/11 9:25 pm - NY
i eat salads but i do not use lettuce normally, i do things like cukes, red peppers, tomatoes, dill, parsley, evoo , salt pepper lemon, feta+olives, Sort of like a greek /turkish shepard type of salad. Or i make really chunky pico de gallo, and I usually include this with most of my proteins b/c it is so refreshing and it makes it easier to eat the protein.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 244 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 732 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views