How did you prep for your surgery, diet wise?

butercup
on 9/13/11 5:57 am - Kennewick, WA
What were your pre op surgery diets like? How long did they last, what did they consist of, or did you do one at all? I'm talking like a few weeks before surgery too.

galla1
on 9/13/11 5:59 am
I didnt have to do one..just a bowel prep the night before. Made sure I was plenty hydrated :) good luck
sandy_mt
on 9/13/11 6:04 am
 My doctor wanted me to lose 20 pounds before surgery, but I had about 6 weeks to do it, so I didnt have to do a liquid diet like some of the others.  I just cut the carbs completely out and stopped having any alcohol.  I ate basically protein and vegetables, pretty much like I knew I would be doing after the DS.  Also, I beefed up on my vitamins BEFORE I went in because I knew I wouldn't be taking them right away following.  

Sandy

newyorkbitch
on 9/13/11 6:18 am
My diet leading up to surgery consisted of eating anything and everything - all my favorites,  lots of them,  all the time.

I didn't eat or drink from midnight before the surgery.  No diet,  no bowel prep,  no nothing.

butercup
on 9/13/11 6:23 am - Kennewick, WA
I've lost 32 lbs doing low carb/low fat/ high protein since May when I was put on my pre op diet. Do you think my liver has shrunk? I'm having to do 10 days clear liquids with protein powder and I feel like I'm going to die honestly. I'm just wondering if this last diet is excessive. I kind of feel that it is. Thoughts?  I want food, can you tell?
Julie R.
on 9/13/11 7:44 am - Ludington, MI
 I had to do a two-week liquid (protein powders and stuff) diet.  It sucked big time.   I'm pretty sure your liver has shrunk with your very respectable weight loss.   Just remember - it's just that much lower you'll be coming out of surgery and less you'll have to lose!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

MajorMom
on 9/13/11 8:08 am - VA
I didn't have to do one but I went low carb on my own...except for the several "last suppers" I enjoyed.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

nmscuba
on 9/13/11 8:44 am - kingsley, MI
I have DS surgery this week Fri so I have been on my 2 week diet now for almost 14 days.  I have the same surgeon as Julie at the same place.

But what they are doing now is its all food for 2 weeks.  800 to 900 calories a day with 60 grams of protein daily.  They like you to buy their products in their shop which was only $125 for 2 weeks worth of food eating 6 times a day so honestly its not bad.

It consists of protein drinks, shakes, small tv type dinner, oatmeal, omelettes, pretzels, chips its been pretty good really.

Tony,

Surgery Date 9/16/11, HW 260lb. Currently 207 lbs, SW 241 Goal 190lb.  5ft 9.5 inches        
elixir
on 9/13/11 10:52 am - MI
I did the same diet. It was bearable, but everytime I drove by Checkers I wanted to pull in. I had to drive an alternate route to avoid it.

Good luck with your surgery this Friday!

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

Switched4Life
on 9/13/11 10:26 am
     I was not required to do any special diet prior to my DS.  I just had to stop eating by midnight the night before surgery.  And there were no tubes after surgery, either.  I did not have a single complication.  

I am always amazed to read how some surgeons require strange and exotic diets and cleansing rituals before surgery, while others say none of that is necessary.

Michael
Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 92 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 92 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 647 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views