lab results...interesting

Felicia S.
on 9/23/11 12:37 pm - Lincoln, NE
Well, some of my results came back.  Not my vitamin levels, but I'm fearful they are going to be low.  I'm a little irked as it appears as though they did not order the vitamin A level as I requested.  Also, with the iron studies they didn't order the ferritin!  jeesh.

But the reason I think they're going to be low is because:

1.  I'm not great about taking all my vitamins (don't worry...I'm kicking myself in the arse)
2.  My white blood cell count is low, and I did a search online and one of the causes (to my surprise) was vitamin deficiencies!
3.  My monocytes are low, and I read that a vitamin B12 deficiency can cause that.  My vitamin B12 level is 324.  While that is "in range" it says on my lab sheet "Please note:  Although the reference range for vitamin B12 is 200-1100 pg/mL, it has been reported that between 5 and 10% of patients with values between 200 and 400 pg/mL may experience neuropsychiatric and hematologic abnormalities due to occult B12 deficiency; less than 1% of patients with values above 400 pg/mL will have symptoms."

Very interesting...hmmm...if that is true, why the heck do they say 200 is normal!  Wouldn't it stand to reason that 400 should be the lower threshold of normal?

What else...my iron is 41.  It was always low even before my DS, but has essentially remained the same.  The last low ferritin I had was a 9 or a 6...I have no idea what it is now as they didn't request a ferritin.  My saturation is 12...which they say is low, but I'm not sure of what the significance of that is.

It will be interesting to see what my D, K, and E levels are.  When I go back to see her, I will bring her a list of tests that were missed and request those.

Ok, off to take my vites....g'night everyone!

Felicia
HW 264 SW 248 CW 140.8 GW 140 

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 9/23/11 3:06 pm
Good for you for keeping track of what all needs to be checked. Too many people have blind faith that their doctor will check everything necessary, and notify them if things are going wrong. 

You need to have them redo tests for the missed ones, and have them add ferretin too, since iron has been an issue in the past. You'll have to go back in to give more blood, so try to make sure they get every missed one this time. I've made 3 and 4 trips to give blood before when they kept missing or losing something. Even if they have everything marked on the sheet for the lab, some samples always seem to get lost or damaged. 

And you're right about the b12. That low range will have to be corrected some day, but the low range is dangerous. The low end of that range with HAVE to be raised, and I think the upper range will be raised as well.

(deactivated member)
on 9/23/11 10:37 pm
Keep in mind the low range number for most vitamins and minerals is the *average* number that disease or deficiency symptoms are NOT seen in an average person. That said, I believe your B12 is way too low. If my B12 drops below 800-1000, I start having short term memory problems. Totally annoying!

Monocytes can be zero. You really don't want them high.

If your last ferritin was 6 or 9 and your iron is 41, you are in desperate need of iron infusions.

Hope the rest of your vitamins haven't tanked yet. Things are hard to raise up once they bottom out.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Elizabeth N.
on 9/24/11 9:43 am - Burlington County, NJ
If memory serves me, this is something you've pretty much neglected all along, yes?

Felicia S.
on 9/24/11 10:07 am - Lincoln, NE
No...on and off.  I go through periods where I am 100% on top of doing everything correct and then periods where I'm not doing what I need to be doing.  I certainly should have been better--that's for damn sure.  I don't think the damage is so bad that I can't come back from it...so at least there's that.  I think (for lack of a better excuse) I've been very inconsistent since my divorce last year, but now it's time to nip that **** in the bud and do what I need to do.

I just got my vitamin D level back today.  It is a 27.  Yes, crappy.  But a year ago it was 32, so it hasn't changed drastically.  My B12 was also in the 300s a year ago...yes, crappy...but it hasn't changed since then.  My iron is low, but it is almost exactly the same as it was preop.  I've had two sets of iron infusions and probably need a third.  So, I am getting my follow up, doing blood work, etc.  Just need to take my vitamins religiously because I know full well if I don't give a crap about me, no one else will.
HW 264 SW 248 CW 140.8 GW 140 

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 78 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 78 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 641 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views