recent labs shoe AST/ALT

rhonda C.
on 9/25/11 4:23 am - PA
slightly elevated.From what I have researched,it could be a number of things,like as many vits as we take or a muscle injury..etc..
I was wondering,I just finished a strong antibotic (bactrim) if that could cause it to elevate.It is only slightlt elevated AST 55 / ALT 54.
What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Rhonda
Rhonda   

Confidence never comes from having all the answers:
it comes from being open to ask questions

MARTINA P.
on 9/25/11 4:37 am - ROCKMART, GA
 I experienced this before surgery and went through a hard battle for about 6 months where it got as high as 700.  Do you still have your gall bladder?  Your gall bladder could be bad and let me tell you the test with ultra sounds do not always pick it up.  Have you taken Diflucan for a yeast infection recently because, one of the possible side affects is elevate AST and ALT.  Last question is do you take a lot of Tylenol .  Tylenol filter through the liver and causes elevated AST and ALT.  I hope you get better.
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

rhonda C.
on 9/25/11 4:45 am - PA
HI no I don't have a gallbladder,no diflucan.I do take advil,no tylenol is along while now.
I am hoping it is just a fluke thing,or maybe my antibiotic intercepted somehow.
I know it is very slightly elevated,but when we say liver..I get paranoid (sp) as hell.I come from a family of drinkers and was one myself until my lovelt DS made me not like alcohol anymore..yay.
Thanks so much for your reply.
Rhonda
Rhonda   

Elizabeth N.
on 9/25/11 4:57 am - Burlington County, NJ
Slightly elevated liver values are meaningless. It's just a freeze-frame, if you will, of a moment in time. It's severe and/or long-term elevations, or combined with certain other symptoms, that point to trouble.

rhonda C.
on 9/25/11 5:04 am - PA
That is what I think also EN,thanks for confirming my thoughts.You are great!!
Rhonda
Rhonda   

(deactivated member)
on 9/25/11 11:26 am
Bactrim is notoriously hard on the kidneys, but not so much on the liver.  

Until the liver enzymes are consistently twice the normal upper limit, it's usually OK to follow them serially at routine office visits with your PCP.  Persistently elevated levels require further evaluation.

Avoiding acetaminophen, as mentioned above, as well as alcohol are good places to start when trying to get levels back to normal.  If you're on any prescription meds, it might be worth asking your PCP or pharmacist if that is a possible medication side effect.  

Milk thistle over-the-counter is a good natural supplement that can normalize liver enzyme levels.  You might give it a try if they remain elevated.  
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 279 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 752 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 251 views