pk****ch: 5 days out of surgery

pktwatch
on 9/25/11 10:05 pm
and I am home. I came home on day 4. I am more tired than in pain, I am confused and trying hard to do everything that I have been told and planned. My main problem so far is that I am still seeping from where they pulled one of my drain tubes out. I feel confused about if I am full or hungry, I have not had much belly pain or sickness but get big rumbling like hunger pains then just as I am convinced that I am hungry I feel stuffed!

I have started my prescriptions ( they sent me home on 6 new prescriptions) but I lost 3 of the ones that I was taking and the new ones are temps.

I am getting in the water OK and the meds and vites seem to be going well. I have not experimented with food to much yet but what I have ate seems to set well. Cottage cheese at every meal and a pudding or veg for my second choice. Plain water or peach tea are my drink choices.

I start my protein drinks today and hope that they go down well. So far I can say that this is not as hard as I had thought that it would be (and I sure hope that it continues that way).

Thanks to Diane Davis for calling and updating my status here at OH, sorry that all calls were not returned but it has been a hectic week! Thanks for all of the well wishes and words of encouragement it has all helped!

Switched 9/21/2011 By Dr. Inman
HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

GW 180 (or less to get to a normal BMI)

calendargirl
on 9/25/11 11:43 pm - Land of Oz, KS
DS on 04/20/12

Good for you!  So glad you're progressing well.

C-Girl

Starting Stats: Ht: 5' 0" HW: 242 ~ SW: 229.9 ~ CW: 117 ~ Goal: 124.9 ("normal" BMI)
% EWL @ 03 months: 36%             % EWL
 @ 09 months: 80%
% EWL @ 06 months: 63%             % EWL @ 12 months + 2 weeks: 100%

AllieInOntario
on 9/26/11 12:41 am
Easy does it with your stomach.  It will rumble and grumble for a while.  The best is yet to come
Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

edeldog13
on 9/26/11 1:24 am - MO
So glad you're home. You'll do better at home resting! After reading about your length of time in surgery I'm amazed you are doing so well.

Looking forward to more of your posts as you recover! Welcome to the bench!
Chad M.
on 9/26/11 2:08 am - Indianapolis, IN
Butch, you're doing so well! It's completely normal to be tired and confused at this point.

I could not tell when I was hungry or full for a LONG time. For now just measure your food and eat slowly. You will eventually start to understand the new signals from your stomach.

It's normal for the drain area to ooze a bit. Mine did for a few days. Watch for redness, pain, and swelling, and make sure you stay in touch with the office if anything changes or if it doesn't get better.

elixir
on 9/26/11 2:44 am - MI
Sounds like you're doing great! I still feel confused sometimes about whether or not I'm hungry. I have a problem where I feel nauseous when I'm hungry. But I also feel nauseous for no good reason once in a while too, It's hard to interpret which nausea I'm feeling. 

Speedy recovery!

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

Justin K.
on 9/26/11 4:50 am - Grand Island, NE
Your body has plenty of reserve fuel and vitamins right now.  If you don't eat for a week it won't be the end of the world.  Right now it may be very hard to tell if you're full or not, and one bite too many means you're either throwing up or in severe SEVERE pain, and once that subsides you'll be left too weak to get out of bed.

Don't do that to yourself, eat slow, put the spoon down wait a bit.. rinse/repeat.

Do you still have your j-tube?  You can put in diluted protein shakes directly into your intestines which will bypass your healing stomach, and still give your body the protein to help it repair itself quicker.

Anyway - Take it easy and you'll do great :)

Justin
pktwatch
on 9/26/11 6:31 am
On September 26, 2011 at 11:50 AM Pacific Time, Justin K. wrote:
Your body has plenty of reserve fuel and vitamins right now.  If you don't eat for a week it won't be the end of the world.  Right now it may be very hard to tell if you're full or not, and one bite too many means you're either throwing up or in severe SEVERE pain, and once that subsides you'll be left too weak to get out of bed.

Don't do that to yourself, eat slow, put the spoon down wait a bit.. rinse/repeat.

Do you still have your j-tube?  You can put in diluted protein shakes directly into your intestines which will bypass your healing stomach, and still give your body the protein to help it repair itself quicker.

Anyway - Take it easy and you'll do great :)

Justin
I never had a j-tube. So far I am eating 2 oz 3 times a day + now I have started the peotei shakes. I know that I need to take it slower with them.

Switched 9/21/2011 By Dr. Inman
HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

GW 180 (or less to get to a normal BMI)

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 267 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 742 views
Need help for my mom