Surgery Approved and now....a road block

Divine_Ambrosia
on 10/17/11 11:53 pm - Cary, NC
 So, I had my thyroid removed back in June of 2010.  I had hyperthyroidisim and some pre-cancerous nodules and a long family histroy of thyroid cancer ect, so they decided to remove it.

After having my blood work for a month - Dr. Sudan just put the breaks on my surgery because of my thyroid #s.  They are really out of whack, however, it takes months if not years to get your thyroid levels just right.

I'm really upset right now, because he will not have surgery due to this issue.  He knew it and I could have been working on the levels for a whole month.

I've called my PCP, she is concerned about the levels too.  Imeadietly changed and upped my meds.  I'm very frustarted with what has happened.  And not sure what to do.  I asked Sheila, Dr. Sudan's nurse to send an e-mail to him explaining the situation.  But who knows what that will mean.

-sigh-  Why do I feel like this is such a nightmare?
scoob
on 10/17/11 11:59 pm - Somerset, KY
So sorry to hear this! Hang tough, your day will come! Keep your eye on the prize sweetie! HUGS

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

Renfairewench
on 10/18/11 12:27 am
May I suggest that what you need is an endocrinologist. They have more experience and can regulate your medication more efficiently.

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

larra
on 10/18/11 12:48 am - bay area, CA
Sorry you're facing another roadblock, but this one is all about getting you through major surgery safely. Dr. Sudan is right to be concerned (though it would have been nicer to check this out sooner) and hopefully your pcp and maybe an endo will get the levels to where they need to be asap.

Larra
Divine_Ambrosia
on 10/18/11 12:50 am - Cary, NC
Right now he wont' even schedule a surgery for me, in case they are up to normal levels fairly fast.

Worse yet - if I don't get this surgery this year.  I have to completely go through the approval process again.  So guess what that means? They might not even approve it.

This is just freaking great.
(deactivated member)
on 10/18/11 6:19 am
 Just a thought..... how about getting a second opinion from another DS surgeon. 
dandylion
on 10/18/11 11:40 am - Matthews, NC
My understanding is that you want those levels 'normal' because it will affect the anesthesiolgists job of putting you out and keeping you that way. While I understand your frustration and I hope it gets resolved soon, Dr, Sudan is doing the prudent thing.

Divine_Ambrosia
on 10/25/11 5:39 am - Cary, NC
 My surgery has been scheduled as long as my labs in 4 weeks show vast improvement in my Thyroid hormone.  So everyone cross their fingers for me.

As the time is ticking down, I'm becoming increasingly nervous.  Mostly about the mortality of it all.  I have this urge to make sure all my affaris are in order.  Did everyone feel like that? I'm anxious about my vitamins, should I buy them now, should I wait.

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 67 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 67 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 635 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 230 views