Does to much protein early out cause diarrhea?

pktwatch
on 10/19/11 1:13 pm
 I am just 4 weeks out and taking up to 100g to 140g of protein drinks a day + I am eating a lot of high protein items (but not a lot of it). I am using GNC Pro Performance powder and mixing it with Lactaid milk, it has quite a bit of sugars in the milk. Today I bought soy milk to mix it with the protein powder, it has about half of the sugars. I can drink it with water but it tastes so much better with milk!

In the last week to 10 days since I got up to that much I have had very loose stools. Really I don't go more than once or twice a day but it's very loose! There is a lot of gas also......... Before I started taking that many protein drinks I was more on the constipated side.........I hope to get more regular soon!

Don't think that I am regretting anything, I am so glad that I got the DS and so glad that it does not seem like my tastes have changed. I have had no real problems could get my vites and food all in with no problem. I was drinking 64 of of water from the get go and am now up to 80 oz most days.

Switched 9/21/2011 By Dr. Inman
HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

GW 180 (or less to get to a normal BMI)

butercup
on 10/19/11 1:36 pm - Kennewick, WA
I get diarrhea from protein shakes too.
prettypixels
on 10/19/11 1:36 pm
I think some of us might be sensitive to the caseins used in most whey proteins; I am planning to try the syntrax nectar types which apparently have the protein broken down more, plus less lactose. Lact-aid has never worked for me in terms of lactose issues; I tried it for my daughter when she first developed her sensitivity to milk and she reacted exactly the same as with regular milk. She does fine with goat's milk though! Less lactose, more digestible proteins. That is a LOT of protein to be throwing at your system so early out, maybe just back off a little bit while your body adjusts, try some different powders to see if some others agree with you more.
(deactivated member)
on 10/19/11 1:46 pm
PK-

You may have post-op lactose intolerance.  Some get it, some dont, but I would suggest looking for protein that specifically says "lactose free" or Whey Protein Isolate. This is what the Syntrax products use.

I had that issue with straight whey protein, although I was LI going in.  If you weren't chances are that you'll go back to normal as your body gets used to its new configuration.

This can get you in trouble, in terms of dehydration.  I had to go back 48 hours after I was released, because straight whey ran all the fluids out of me!
zuzupetals2u2
on 10/19/11 3:22 pm - Sedona, AZ
I am not sure if this occurred to you but if you are putting mostly liquids in you are going to get mostly liquids out too.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

PattyL
on 10/19/11 5:01 pm
 I would venture to say a great many of us had diarrhea in the beginning.

It will probably go away as you start eating more real food.  But it sounds like you are doing very well.
zuzupetals2u2
on 10/19/11 6:45 pm - Sedona, AZ
also if you are only 4 weeks out you should be striving for 30 grams of protein the first month and 60 grams the next and 90 grams the third month. Maybe you are doing too much too soon -?

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

MajorMom
on 10/19/11 7:43 pm - VA
The 30-60-90 "rule" is just a goal for folks using food only for their protein or for folks who are very nauseous or having trouble early out. It helps ease their mind and it does no lasting harm.  If you supplement with shakes you can reach those goals much faster.
My program cut us no slack...we were told to supplement and aim for 100 grams a day. I'm glad they did or I would have been way behind and my vitamins would have had an even harder time absorbing since protein seems to help vitamins absorb properly. My starting labs may have been worse than a lot of folks...I dunno.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Elizabeth N.
on 10/19/11 9:28 pm - Burlington County, NJ
I'd blame the carbs in the milk. Then I'd blame chemicals in the supplements.

Healing guts tend to be cranky guts. Something that sits well one day might not the next day. Hang in there. You will find your stride.

lwoznick
on 10/19/11 11:32 pm - Green Bay, WI
You may want to check in with your surgeon's office. I am five weeks out now and have had chronic diarrhea from the get go. I saw my surgeon 2 weeks post op and he recommended adding more calcium, Benefiber and reducing fat intake. I did so but still have the chronic trots. I called them back yesterday and they're having me see my PCP locally to have a stool culture taken and to check my electrolytes as well. He thinks it may possibly be C. Diff, an intestinal bug that we can pick up in the hospital while there for our surgery. The culture results take a few days to come back, but if that is the case, it's an easy fix, antibiotic treatment. I'm hoping it's something simple like that. The others have great advice too, just wanted to add this piece in case it is bacteria causing your problems. Hope you find some solutions soon! I know how annoying it can be needing to seemingly always be chained to the porcelain pot!

HW 293, SW 282, LW (Post RNY) 202, SW Pre-DS 242, CW 219 GW 140
Julie from Ludington, MI is my Angel!

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 56 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 628 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 228 views