Am I getting to many calories or carbs?

pktwatch
on 11/1/11 9:12 am
I am am about 6 weeks out of surgery and not eating any more than I am supposed to. However I have been getting in a lot of protein drinks. Most days I get in 3 or 4 double scoop drinks made with soy milk. I have looked at the nutrition but do not have the info in front of me right now.....I do remember that each scoop of protein is 130 calories so 8 scoops a day would be 1040 calories + the milk. Then there is the carbs..........do you think I need to cut back on this?? Last week I only lost 3 pounds, that after losing 6 to 8 pounds a week for the first 4 weeks.

Switched 9/21/2011 By Dr. Inman
HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

GW 180 (or less to get to a normal BMI)

prettypixels
on 11/1/11 10:16 am
 I am not sure on the actual intake, but that is a LOT of soy milk to be drinking.  Soy is a phytoestrogen and consumed in large quantities can play havoc with tons of things.  I think it's fine in moderation, but maybe you could mix it up by having some almond milk or something in your rotation as well.  
Banded in 2001 at 217 lbs - Band to DS revision 10/25/11 at 310 lbs
If life with your band sucks, you are not alone and it's not your fault.  Check out the failed lap band group!

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/11 11:02 am
 I agree with prettypixels, I would not drink so much soymilk.
But otherwise don't bother to count calories, just focus on how much protein you are getting and how many carbs.
I'm about 2  1/2 years out and have never count calories. I just keep track of the protein and carbs.

Also I would not worry about "just" losing 3 pounds for one week, you are very likely slowing down for a bit, you can't expect to lose the same amount every single week.
Just give it time, and like most vets say "Stay of the Scale".

Hang in there.
MARTINA P.
on 11/1/11 11:34 am - ROCKMART, GA
 I want you to know that I am so proud of you because I am not able to drink 3 double protiens a day.  Way to go and keep up the good work.
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

gak
on 11/1/11 12:24 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
Do also remember 6 -8 weeks is a common stall / slow down point as the body adjusts. The weight will come off, but your body needs time to adjust as well. We are also all a bit different. So when you say ... I only lost 3 pounds... remember that is a loss and it's ok ! Your doing great !

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

pktwatch
on 11/1/11 12:52 pm
Thanks, I think that i will try Almond milk or at least cut back on the soy milk. I can drink the protein with water, it just tastes better with milk. I tried real milk once last week and even with taking the lactic pills it still bothered me.......

HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

NoMore B.
on 11/1/11 12:54 pm
Right around your time it is so typical for people to hit a stall as your body adjusts to your rapid weight loss.  Dont panic about it.

That being said, I wouldnt be drinking that much soy milk at this point.  Have you tried mixing your shakes with water, and a liberal splash of heavy cream?  Very low carb, and the cream wont hurt you.

Throw counting calories out the window, there is no reasonable way to do it. The DS math is a good average, but everyone is a little different and you'll see that the calories dont matter one bit.  Jus****ch your carbs and dont worry about fat.
Elizabeth N.
on 11/1/11 12:59 pm - Burlington County, NJ
This is where DS math comes in.

Look at your nutrition labels on stuff. Figure out how many grams of fat, protein and carbohydrate you are consuming from the labels. Add up totals of each nutrient.

Now figure calories of each nutrient. Fat has 9 calories per gram, protein and carbs have 4.

A hypothetical example: My serving of magical food has 18 grams of fat, 22 grams of protein and 27 grams of carbohydrate.

That gives me 162 fat calories, 88 protein calories and 108 carb calories.

We absorb about 50% of the protein and 20% of the fat we eat. Carbs are absorbed at varying rates depending upon how quickly the metabolize. For this example I'll use 90%.

So, 20% of 162 = 32.4 fat calories absorbed; 50% of 88 = 44 protein calories and 90% of 108 = 97.2 carb calories.

A "normal person" gets 308 calories from the magical food. We get 173.6 calories.

So, to answer your "too many calories question": No.

As to your "only 3 pounds" worry....Okay, reality check time. How many times have you read on here that THIS WILL HAPPEN? This is NORMAL. Next week you might have lost nothing or even gone UP. Totally, utterly normal. Just keep doing what you're doing.

Someone voiced concern about the soy milk. I know zilch about soy milk. But I highly recommend getting your protein from real food as much as possible. What kind of food are you eating? You're still very early out, but the goal should be to eat more normally and not just rely on the supplements.

pktwatch
on 11/1/11 11:37 pm
Thanks, I did read about stalls but thought that they came much later. I have wrote down everything that I have ate or taken since my surgery but I need to start tracking the nutrition values. I can eat about anything and have not had a problem getting sick etc so I think that you gave me good advice, I will try to track my nutrition better and cut back on the shakes then add more protein food. I am eating a lot of high protein foods it is just that I cannot eat a lot of it yet. Maybe if I cut back on those protein drinks and add BACON.............

HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

Janet P.
on 11/1/11 8:08 pm
I agree with EN about switching from supplements to real food. I am an advocate of only using supplements if you absolutely have to (that's just my opinion). Can't advise on the whole soy milk aspect -- never even tried it.

BTW you're doing awesome.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 61 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 61 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 632 views