How did you prepare/pass the time waiting for surgery?

Sher Bear Mama
on 11/6/11 2:20 am
This is how I did it. Lets give Smokinstella a list or idea of how others have done it as well.

I started this journey in May of this year. I went to the doc, got my referral, and waited until the end of July to have my orientation for Kaiser's bariatric program.  Then, Kaiser makes patients wait 3 months to finish classes and then another month or two or three to actually get the surgery.  From May until December 5th (my surgery date) I've waited a total of 7 months (WAY longer than I wanted but WAY shorter than so many here who have had to wait YEARS to get their surgery).

For me, this turned out to be a blessing in disguise.  I was able to use that time to learn and ask questions and check in on this site, and ***** and moan, and fight the system, and exercise (to the best of my ability) and actually diet (to drop a few pounds before surgery).  The wait from May to July 22 was my longest wait since I had nothing to do during that time.  Then from July to Oct. 15,  time FLEW BY.  I was so busy making it to classes each week, looking at my diet, trying to practice a DS diet, asking questions of others on the board and reading on the board to prepare for the DS, changing behavior that would actually impede my success after surgery.  And actually, I'm SO glad I had the wait.  

The wait has allowed me to try and adjust to the life-long changes that I'm going to be facing after surgery.  It's allowed my family and friends to ask questions that really made me think and forced me to go here to the board for answers.  The closer to my surgery date (December 5th) that I get, the more questions that come up--and I'm thinking, and thinking, and trying to prepare myself.  If you would have asked me in May, I would have wanted the surgery right away.  Heck, I was a pro at losing weight, I knew all about nutrition, and I felt (and still feel) that I'm not a compulsive over eater so I just needed the TOOL of the DS to get me going.  But the wait has allowed me to really process what's going on and what might, and will happen to me, to my body, to the people who are a part of my life--because this surgery won't just affect me but it also has an affect on the others in my life (husband, children, parents, close friends, etc.).  

During the waiting time, I would take each week and month as an opportunity to work on myself.  I set a goal each month--something I needed or would like to CHANGE before surgery--be it starting vitamins,  eating fewer carbs, getting more protein in, drinking MORE WATER, beginning a mild (or VERY mild if need be) exercise routine, focus on bad habits to break like not eating mindlessly in front of the TV, in the car, or where ever.  By setting goals and recording changes--even keeping a diary about it, then the weeks between checking in with nutritionists, doctors, labs, etc, did not seem quite as long--I was measuring my success as I went along.  I actually lost 30 pounds while I waited--because I started eating as if I had the DS already (protein shakes, vitamins, low carb, high protein, etc).  I feel so much better and feel so much healthier.  I feel like I'm walking into surgery with a much healthier body so that I insure better success and recovery. 

These weeks and months seem like a LONG LONG wait--especially for those who've been waiting much longer than I have.  But I've been waiting to be healthy and fit for so many years already.  But, in my minimal experience and in my never to be humble opinion, it's been soooo worth the wait.  From start to now, I feel like a completely different person.  One who is ready and able to walk into that hospital and get my surgery!--and walk out on the DARK SIDE!

Hope this helps others who are waiting too. 

Now, does anyone else have any advice?

Sher-
Sher--the bear mama

Shavonne P.
on 11/6/11 5:44 am, edited 11/6/11 5:46 am
My journey was fairly speedy.  So I didnt have much time to pass. I originally had a consult with a different surgeon (feb 2011) *****ferred me to Dr Roslin.  I had my consult with Dr Roslin March 24th, bloodwork March 28th, my psych eval April 1st, Approval from insurance (April 13th) before even having my endoscopy done.  Endoscopy April 15th.  Dr Roslin's office was willing to schedule me for surgery within 2 weeks but I chose to wait until June because of some events I had going on.

But to answer your question, during those couple months I lived, ate, and breathed OH, and dsfacts.com. I wanted to be as prepared as well. 

Nothing feels better than being able to go into ANY store and fit their clothes!
Twyla S.
on 11/6/11 9:16 pm - Chattanooga, TN
 Good post, and some points I need to start working on.  I'm a chicken **** so it's kinda going really fast for me.  Now it may slow down for me with the insurance and stuff, but still....not even expecting it til March or April anyway....and probably longer.  But that's fine with me...gives me time to work on all this stuff...LOL

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself. ~Harvey Fierstein
kahlana
on 11/6/11 10:31 pm - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
How I am spending my waiting period From March '11 to January '12
I go to Bariatric surgery support group meetings as i can
I read everybody and anybody's blogs on the DS as well as DS recipe sites. (And took notes so i could ask intelligent questions of my NUT, surgeon, pcp)
I am trying to maintain a regular walking/stairs exercise program
I am changing the types of food I put in my body by getting off sugar and changing all my white flour foods to whole wheat.
Going to the dietary appointments and keeping up with my food journal. (This one is hard for me)
Learned to organize and take my meds and vitamins on a regular schedule (off the wagon with that one at the moment but will get back on track ASAP)
Started and continue to go to therapy to deal with any and all issues that crop up. (Had to start keeping a list)
Spending tons of time here reading everything even the posts I am not sure apply to me so I can keep learning and then trying to put into practice what I learn as much as I can without having had the actual surgery yet.
I will know on the 18th if any of this has helped since I have another blood draw and appointment with my pcp to go over everything. Then there is only 2 more dietary appointments, hunting season, quitting smoking completely, and the final consultation with my surgeon to get through and I'll have a date for sometime in January.
Hope this helps

determineddanni
on 11/7/11 2:03 am
I started lurking here in late March. I then decided really entertain the idea of surgery in May. Not to long after I was fully on board after finding the DS forum. Since then I have been reading lots of forums and really listening to the vets. I have asked a few questions but mostly I just listen and learn. I am sure when I am post-op I will probably have more questions and concerns.

So the time has really flown by with me being active in reading the DS forum, completeing my insurance required information, doctor appointments, educated only select family members on the DS, and just busy daily life. Now its November and my paper work was officially turned into insurance on 11/4/11. Now the waiting game...this is honestly the part that is killing me. I just try to keep my mind busy by reorganizing closets and just analy cleaning everything. So when I do get surgery everything will be lovely for a month or two before I really have to worry about it again. So my anticipation is growing because insurance scares me... they hold the key to coverage.

I guess my only suggestion is to educate, educate, educate, ask, prepare, and listen!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 264 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 740 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 247 views