Are there any other (current or past) heavyweights out there?

a_new_mii
on 11/13/11 11:30 am, edited 11/13/11 11:41 am - AZ
 Hi Lisa!
My high weight was 445.  I weighed 445 just last November.  I lost about 35 pounds before my consult with Dr. Juarez.  I had surgery 4/06/11.  I have lost 186 from my top weight and 158 since my consult before surgery.  
I know exactly what you mean about feeling a freak.  There don't seem to be a whole lot of us "heavy Weights" here.
I look forward to following your progress.  
my BMI started at 76 ( I'm only 5'4") 
Join us here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi ~~❁~Ginger~~~
The beginning of a whole new world.              
HW-445
   SW-417    CW-162  GW-175            

April M.
on 11/13/11 11:30 am - MI
I was a heavyweight, my starting BMI was 59.something, I weighed 379 at 5'7". That was my highest weight (except for my pregnancy, then I managed to get up to 390).

I totally know what you mean about feeling like a bit of a freak when I see that some people only had 80 pounds to lose, and it has made me wonder on more than one occasion if the DS could actually do for me what it has for everyone else.

My *minimum* goal weight would have me losing 220lbs, and, in my deepest most secret places I would love for that number to actually be just shy of 250. That, I realize is a pipe dream without plastics... I simply have too much skin to be anywhere near healthy and weigh 130. Now, with plastics, that would still put me in the middle range of a healthy BMI, but I don't ever actually dare to hope that I'll get down that low.

If it helps you any, my BMI now is 38.6. My mom was so confused the day I called her screaming and celebrating because I was "just obese"! So, long story short, others, especially in your "real" life, may not get it, but I've got your number, girlie

~April~                                             5'7" 
       2 Part DS                   BMI: S/C/G    59.3/33.5/24.9   

Part 1: 3/14/11                HW/SW#1/SW#2/CW/GW      
    Part 2: 7/14/11                  
379/366/319/214/

ChristyTal
on 11/13/11 11:46 am
Hi There!

My bmi was 53 and I weighed upward of 330 lbs.  Congrats on your weightloss so far -  you won't BELIEVE how the weight comes off after the DS.   It truly melts off.  And, yes, it's bizarre, I have to be sure I'm eating enough or I continue to lose.  

Probably the strangest thing is losing weight between Halloween and New Years - which I've done both years since I had my surgery. 

Although my bmi was not quite what yours is, I felt like a freak too, and could not believe that I would someday be one of those "before/after" people.  Yet, here I am.  You will be too!  

Looking forward to reading about your journey!

Christy

sw 333/gw 160/cw 155

Kathleen F.
on 11/13/11 11:47 am
provolisa
on 11/13/11 11:52 am - Provo, UT
Wow, you guys! this is wonderful! We all need to stay in touch!

I am feeling like less of a freak already, seeing all of you beautiful women who are or were like me

Lisa
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

LeonieL
on 11/13/11 1:10 pm - Rivonia, South Africa
 Apart from my mother's two sisters and me Granny, I  do not even know people who weigh as much as I do.  (BMI 53) Before this forum I have never spoken to anyone with WLS. it is so great to know that there  IS hope. IOne dai - too will be able to wear SKINNY jeans.  

It is so bad going to the plus-size stores and finding nothingg that fits. The worst is being on this "normal" diet and losing three pounds in three weeks. - am so thankful tHat can now dream about a future that includes sitting on the floor with my first grand-child and getting a job

- am so excited about sharing this journey with you

"Eonie

airbender
on 11/13/11 1:41 pm
Lisa,

first congrats on your 100 lbsw loss, what an accomplishment, I have lost and gained so much weight it must be in thousands over the decades.  my bmi was 61 got down to bmi of 19 with the lap band, complications caused the loss of that device, revised to DS Nov 2011, now at a bmi of 22.  you will do great....
Janet P.
on 11/13/11 7:37 pm
Lisa -- at the time of surgery my BMI was about 58 (320 pounds at 5'3"). My highest weight was about 340 which put me just at the 60 mark. Being that short I was also a pure apple shape so I carried all my weight being my neck and my hips.

I had my DS almost 9 years ago and even though I'm still in the overweight category I really don't care. I'm happy and healthy and that's all that matters. When I had my surgery I had a friend who took pictures of me every month. It took me over 100 pounds to finally see the weight loss. My avatar picture was taken at a wedding and I honestly didn't recognize myself in the picture.

I just uploaded some before/after pictures to my profile page to give you an idea (sorry I can't figure out to drop them into the post!).

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

hollyweasel
on 11/13/11 10:18 pm - MI
Congrats on your 100 lbs shed!

At the time of my surgery I was at my heaviest weight ever - 386, with a BMI of 60.  For once, my weight worked to my advantage because my insurance kicked in for the surgery right away - no six month weight for me!  The admin actually told me to be thankful my BMI was over 50 - I thought "this is a first!".

You won't believe how fast it comes off after the surgery - and how GREAT you feel after a couple months.  I don't know about you, but I have been very heavy my whole life, this is the first time I am going in the other direction of weight.

Holly

DS Surgery in Detroit Medical Center on 8/17/11.
Start Weight: 386 

(deactivated member)
on 11/13/11 10:26 pm
 I've had a sleeve and lost 160lbs and I'm still a bmi of 69. So no, you are not alone.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 234 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 726 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 243 views