whining while insurance decides my case

provolisa
on 11/15/11 10:17 am - Provo, UT
I was going koo koo waiting to hear if my insurance was approved yet.

So, I called my insurance to see if they received my surgeon's application for me to have surgery. A gal named Suzanne said no problem, I'll look it right up and tell you if they have a decision yet. She put me on hold for over half an hour of perky music, and then I was disconnected.

I called back. After a short search, Serena said that they had no record of receiving it. She suggested I call my surgeon and have them call the provider line.

So then I called my insurance gal, who told me that they had given her a reference number, and that they would call back to give her a fax number. Since they did that LAST WEEK and she had not heard back yet, I took it upon myself to call the insurance company back to find out what was up with the insurance number.

When I called the insurance back, Miss Wells told me there were NO notations in the computer in reference to that reference number, but that it may be only used within the claims department. Then, (and I could have kissed her) she offered to connect me with the "Case Coordination Department"

After quite a while with the same perky song, Reubin answered, talking extremely fast and obviously trying to get me off of the phone. Using my most assertive communication skills, I was able to learn that their system is to assign the reference number to a nurse, who will decide the case BASED ON INFORMATION THAT THEY ALREADY HAVE ON ME, and will only call the surgeon for information if they decide they need it, at which time they will release the holy fax number for the surgeon to use. The fax number differs according to which nurse gets assigned my request, so there is no way to find out who got the request and get her phone number or to get a fax number now!

AAAARGHHH!!!!

Does anyone have a double Long Island Ice Tea with a Lortab chaser for a little headache I developed this afternoon?

Lisa
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

Its a Secret
on 11/15/11 11:05 am
Three lovely words worked for me..."Three Way Calling".  Call your docs insurance gal when she has the time, call the provider line and you stay on the line.  It friggin freaks them out.  :)  It's fun too cuz no 1/2 truths are told and if they are, you docs insurance person can call them on it.

Its a Secret
on 11/15/11 11:05 am
P.S.  I lurve whiners..it's gonna be OK :)

provolisa
on 11/15/11 1:35 pm - Provo, UT
What great advice! I am gonna remember that!

...And good luck and every other type of omen for tomorrow!

~Lisa
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

seekingsusan
on 11/15/11 1:25 pm - Livermore, CA
DS on 05/24/12
Don'tcha just LOVE making those calls where if you don't speak the exact same legalese they run you in circles and you feel like reaching through the phone and shakin' the S*** outta them. It's almost like they are reading from a script and not even thinkin' to breath for themselves.....
OHHHH, don't get me started....too late! lol

Well, it sounds like you've at least made contact and PERCHANCE next time you call, you get someone you can connect with, someone who UNDERSTANDS the very reason for your call....(whew! there I go again...) shuppin' now.

...and great advice from someone who's going to the DarkSide in the mornin'....Congrats!

LIsa, you've got some great communication skills and intelligence, you will get an answer from them yet.

Good Luck,
S~

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 234 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 726 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 243 views