HOW did you slow down your eating

provolisa
on 11/30/11 10:40 am - Provo, UT
 Eloisie's thread about upchucking prompted me to start this thread.

I know I am supposed to be taking tiny bites and chewing them until they have dissolved into my saliva, and everything. I am supposed to be practicing pre-surgery.

Well, I am good for about the first two bites, and then I am enjoying my food, and the next thing, it is all GONE~ and I have wolfed it down! I seem to have this mindset (from years of overeating, I guess) of what is the most efficient way I can get this food off of my plate?
I attack my food.
I prepare the next bite while I have the first one in my mouth.
When food is soft enough, I just sma**** between my tongue and palate, and swallow!

The problem is, I have been really, REALLY trying to be good. I know I need the skill of managing tiny little bites. 

Does anyone have any suggestions, apart from negative reinforcement from throwing everything up for the first 6 months, which isn't good for healing? 

How did YOU develop the mini-munching skill?

Lisa
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

teachmid
on 11/30/11 10:47 am - OKC, OK
Early out I used a baby spoon and ate by the clock. It was something I had trouble with for quite awhile.

Although I never tried it, I've seen the suggestion of getting up from the table and walking away after a few bites, then come back and eat a few more.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

fullhousemom
on 11/30/11 11:13 am
I love the baby spoon idea!

My dad's doctor told him to put the spoon or fork down on the table between every bite. I can't say that I tried that, but it worked for him.

I found that eating slowly was much easier immediately after surgery.  The DS was the only thing on my mind.  As I have gotten back into my routine, it becomes a little harder.  Do not multi-task when you are eating.  Pay attention to your food!

Chew your food thoroughly.  I was surprised how much more flavor is in the food the longer you chew it!

Good luck.  I will admit that it is a hard habit to break.
DianaRR
on 11/30/11 11:25 am - CA
No one ever told me to do that.

Poodles
on 11/30/11 11:47 am - TX
I was told to do this with my Lapband surgery, but not with my DS.   If you follow your doctors directions with liquids, mushie, soft foods, then solid stages I don't think it becomes an issue.

With the DS you have a normal tummy.  Once it heals, it works just fine and you can eat as fast as you want too.

The only thing I monitor is how fast I drink.  I can take five big gulps and then stop.  Much more than that at one time and I feel sick/overfull.  Weird how it is second nature now, I actually count in my head... wait a minute... count five swallows again... wait... count five... repeat as necessary.  Only a real pain when I am really thirsty.  As for food, I can inhale a chicken thigh in one minute flat.
 Come to the Dark Side!!!                     
Band to DS revision 11/09/09.
Learn about the Duodenal Switch at dsfacts.com ! Off site comparisons of the 4 WLS 
http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-loss-surgery/wls-basics/w eight-loss-surgery-comparison.html
http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

(deactivated member)
on 11/30/11 12:05 pm - TX
 If I eat too fast, I puke--or at least get very uncomfortable.  

I use a salad fork rather than a regular fork when I eat, to help with smaller bites.  Occasionally i will find myself eating too fast and it's a physical sensation that cues me to realize I'm going too fast.  Then I set my fork down and hope I stopped before I went too far.  Worst for me for eating to fast are burritos.  Something about those makes me just gobble, so I'm extra conscious of that tendency when I eat them.

When you are dealing with the restriction, the game changes.  You will find that you will learn quickly how to avoid that horrid 'oops, I did it again' feeling.  It really is an experiential learning curve more than anything else.
NoMore B.
on 11/30/11 12:15 pm
Good question.  You really have to do this and find what works for you.  One extra bite can be the difference between 'full" and "OMG pain or vomit".  In the beginning this will be more difficult to tell.  My best advice is to wait between bites.  You will have to recognize your "full" signals because it feels different than it did before surgery.  For me, full was an uncomfortable feeling of pressure in my chest. 

After living with my restriction for a few years, I'm good at eyeballing an amount of food and knowing what I can handle, but it took a long time to get this way.  To start, you really have to pause between each bite and decide if you really want / need it or not. 
Elizabeth N.
on 11/30/11 12:15 pm - Burlington County, NJ
I eat at the computer. Typing and playing games helps me space out my bites.

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 11/30/11 1:24 pm
That reminds me I gotta pre-order ME3. Damn video games, so addictive...
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Lisa A.
on 11/30/11 9:52 pm - Windsor, NY
I agree with you - I do multitask while eating because it does help to slow down my eating and space it out. I usually clean up dinner while I'm eating. I'm still with the family and chatting etc. but I am able to pace my food out better. That is what works for me (not everyone).

You also just really learn to listen to your body. Some nights I can eat all my dinner and other nights maybe a few bites. It used to really upset me but hey you just learn to go with it.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 146 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 688 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views