Can't Hold Down Protein Shakes or much more for that matter...

Kim G.
on 12/12/11 8:32 am - Plano, TX
I can't hold down my protein shakes, they make me nauseous, and my nausea meds aren't helping... I'm not getting in any nutrients... And I try to sip sip sip on my water, but it seems like I'm always super thirsty, and one sip too much, and I'm throwing up. :( I am sooo frustrated.

Please help! How long can I expect to be throwing up and nauseous?

Delight thyself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. Psalms 37:4

MajorMom
on 12/12/11 8:40 am - VA
Some people have it for a few weeks. Are you on a acid reducer?

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 12/12/11 8:44 am - TX
 You just need to head to the ER, it could be dehydration, a stricture, an abcess or a UTI.

They can adjust your nausea meds there.

But do go, quickly, if things are that bad.

Kim G.
on 12/12/11 8:45 am - Plano, TX
I am on an acid reducer...

It's been like this since I came home from the hospital... And when it comes up, it's bubbly and mucousy... It's like nothing I've ever seen before.

Delight thyself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. Psalms 37:4

MajorMom
on 12/12/11 8:48 am - VA
Maybe the ER is a good idea. Call your surgeon let him know.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Elizabeth N.
on 12/12/11 10:32 am - Burlington County, NJ
ER. NOW. I don't care WHAT your surgeon says.

sandyv63
on 12/12/11 8:56 am - Naples, FL
Boy do I know how you feel. I'm just a couple of weeks ahead of you and I can tell you that you are in the middle of the worst of it. I could not do protein shakes no matter what. Anything sweet made me gag and you'd be surprised how many foods have a sweet after taste. Then all of a sudden yesterday I tried a shake, expecting the worst, and I had no problem with it except that it took me 2 hours to get down. No gagging, no nausea, no horrible after taste. So I thought I'd try again today just to make sure it wasn't a fluke and again it went down without any problems and again it took a while to fini****  But fini**** I did!  I am now at 4.5 weeks and what changed for me, all of a sudden, is my taste buds have returned to normal. Foods taste normal again. This has been the absolute worst part of all this for me so I am thrilled it appears to be over. I am hoping I don't relapse into the 'food tastes like crap' stage again.

I try not to drink water like I used to pre-op but I constantly forget. It is frustrating because as soon as you take that first full swallow, you realized your error instantly.  If it is just happening to you when you sip water, you still haven't figured out that full feeling yet. It took a while for me as well.  Can you tolerate G2 by Gatorade? The only reason I am suggesting it is because it has electrolytes which you may be lacking if you are vomiting. It tasted salty to me after surgery and I haven't tried it again but now that my taste buds appear to be back to normal, I may break out the Grape G2 I have sitting in the refrigerator. You may have to time your sips as the vets recommend. That should keep you out of trouble until you are able to recognize that full feeling.

Since everyone is different in their recovery, I can't say it will be better for you in 2 weeks. Maybe it will take longer or maybe it will be sooner. I stressed something awful over not getting my protein shakes down and all of a sudden, they are going down. I suggest you not stress over the shakes just yet. You are so early out and a lot of new post ops can't do shakes early out. You are not alone in this. Just don't pu**** and do what you can, because all you can do is whatever you can do.  Don't compare yourself to others. It will come in time.
  All the vets have moved to a site where there is no censorship and no biased, unfair moderation. If you want ACCURATE information, join us here:

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi
(deactivated member)
on 12/12/11 9:06 am
This may be 'normal' for you but I would go to the ER and make sure there is nothing else wrong before you go on that assumption.

I did not have a problem with any throwing up and just a slight bit of nausea in the hospital until they got my acid reducer right.

Really, go to the ER and at least get your fluids topped off.

Michele
Kim G.
on 12/12/11 9:09 am - Plano, TX
Thanks Sandy, that makes me feel better. It really is kicking my butt to not be able to drink... I pretty much expected not being able to eat.

I will be calling my doctor in a few minutes to see what he says, but I worry too that I'm close to dehydration if not already there.
sandyv63
on 12/12/11 9:20 am - Naples, FL
If you're dehydrated you need to go to the ER for some fluids. I was understanding from your post that you vomited when you drank too much. I didn't realize it was constant.  I've been fortunate in that I haven't suffered dehydration and I am amazed I haven't because I have not been great with fluids (but I have not been vomiting or having diarrhea either.)  I seemed to have turned the corner but I am not 100% sure yet as it has only been a couple of days.  There is no 'normal' to this recovery so I jus****ch and wait.
  All the vets have moved to a site where there is no censorship and no biased, unfair moderation. If you want ACCURATE information, join us here:

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi
Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 364 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 137 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views