Ahhhh the Heartburn is Killing Me!!!

Kim G.
on 12/14/11 6:11 am - Plano, TX
Help! I can't hold down foods and most liquids, (I'm having an egd tomorrow) and I keep throwing back up my acid blocker... Are there any other remedies that might work? This really sucks having bad heartburn when I haven't even eaten or drinken! Could something like a few sips of milk (if I manage to keep it down) help?

Delight thyself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. Psalms 37:4

MajorMom
on 12/14/11 6:47 am - VA
Have you tried water with fresh lemon or lime juice and sweeten to taste with Splenda? Try it before you try the milk.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Lisa A.
on 12/14/11 6:53 am - Windsor, NY
I never had heartburn until after surgery. I actually thought I was having a heart attack. It was awful. I was so sick and throwing up - nothing becuase there was nothing in me.

I was the same exact way with even water. I ended up having an upper GI series done real time with the radiologist in the room because we just can't drink that quantity they want right after surgery. It was funny when I went into the room the tech had all the contrasts lined up for me to drink and I had such a fearful look in my face - then the radiologist came in and told her "No way" did you look at her chart - she can't drink all that. So he just had me drink the contrast in little sips and watched it on the screen real time. He was awsome.

He told me that I had acquired servere acid reflux (that I never had before). My doctor put me on Reglan  for a month (I think this made me very anxious) and a ppi and I had zofran. This all seemed to help and I was then able to keep liquid down, etc.. I definately stayed away from citrus and spicy stuff (which wasn't hard because I coudln't eat). I also sucked on wintergreen lifesavers. I used to buy them by the bags. Someone else passed along this to me.

I was so fixated on protein and vitamins I wish I just learned early out to concentrate on the liquids. After that I sucked on ice chips all day long and froze snapples as slussies. It's amazing how the ice chips add up. I also did freezer pops. Just really get your liquids in no matter what you do.

Elizabeth N.
on 12/14/11 7:03 am - Burlington County, NJ
How much fluid have you kept down in the past 24 hours? I'm beginning to think you belong admitted through the ER NOW TONIGHT and not waiting till tomorrow.

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/11 7:06 am
I agree w/ Elizabeth.
teachmid
on 12/14/11 7:23 am - OKC, OK
I agree with Elizabeth and MH. I know this has been going on for quite awhile.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 274 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 748 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views