My surgeon got my back... VSG-DS

Nath76
on 12/13/11 3:12 am

I just got a really interesting call from my surgeon's nurse.

First of all let me tell you that after getting denied for a revision surgery from VSG to DS I went ahead and got approved for RNY. I am one test away from getting a surgery date (echography tomorrow morning) and the nurse just called and said that my Surgeon  really think I should apeal the decision from  BCBS to deny my revision to DS. He really think that the DS is my best bet for long term weight loss since I have failed the sleeve.

Apparently they had a patient in a similar situation and filed an appeal and won. they have the letter template and they are going to file it for me.

I dont know what to think of it. I was really debating about appealing but worried about the stress of not knowing for a long time.... I would love to hear from anyone who has gone through this... hopefully success stories :) I know that a lot of people hier were denied for revision to DS (my denial is based on my bmi being less then 50 (48)).
Another questions, after checking out my sleeve, it appears that my sleeve has stretched a little, in your experience, is that something that my surgeon will be able to fix if my DS ever get approved? 

(deactivated member)
on 12/13/11 3:37 am
Please don't revise your sleeve to an RNY without exhausting every appeal known to man!!

If your surgeon's office isn't able to get you approved,  we have some people here that can help you with your appeal and they will probably be PMing you . If they don't, post for help or PM Diana Cox.

I don't know who your surgeon is but I could kiss him!!

Good luck!
Michele
Nath76
on 12/13/11 4:01 am
Thank you Joao,

Not sure how to get Diana's attention.  I would like to ask her if she has any other thoughts on what could be provided for the appeal process. I have met my deductible and HAVE to get surgery before Feb 29 2012.
Nath76
on 12/13/11 4:04 am
oh and my surgeon is Dr Sudan at Duke and their office is AWESOME very very nice and have been on top of things. His nurse Sheila is just amazing...
Chad M.
on 12/13/11 4:19 am - Indianapolis, IN
We have plenty of revisions around here and hopefully they will chime in, or you can find their stories in their profiles and past posts.

As for a VSG to RNY revision, I don't see the point. Given that the VSG and RNY have approximately the same weight loss expectations, why would a revision to RNY do you any good? Factor in that your stomach has to be cut apart even further to form the RNY pouch and it makes no sense at all. IMO the only revision that you should even be considering is to DS. Maybe it will take longer. It's worth the wait.
beemerbeeper
on 12/13/11 6:03 am - AL
www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4454843/Considering-the-RnY- Please-educate-yourself-These-threads/

There's some reasons in the threads above why you don't want a RnY.  You most certainly don't want a sleeve to RnY revision.  That would just be going backwards.

~Becky

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 135 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 678 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 236 views