10 days post op Vites?

Sher Bear Mama
on 12/15/11 1:41 am, edited 12/15/11 1:42 am
I'd love some feed back about when you first started taking your vites after surgery.  I orderd the presorted vitamines from Vitalady so they're all laid out for me to take--breakfast, lunch, dinner, and bedtime.  But I'm finding myself really scared to start taking them.  I'm just worried about what it'll do to my new sensitive stomach.  I'm not nauseous, I'm not taking any pain pills or Zofran--just an antacid.  So my stomach is doing pretty well--though the only things I've eaten thus far are applesauce, yogurt, mashed potatos, and an egg.  

So vets and new post ops, when did you start taking your vites? Did you start the whole regimine or did you just start with one or two vites to start?  How many times a day?  I understand that everyone is different and that we all have different needs and abilities, but I'd love to know how quickly people seem to get started on the vites.

Thanks in advance.
Sher--the bear mama

sandyv63
on 12/15/11 2:05 am - Naples, FL
I'm a long time taker of many vites so I thought I'd be able to start  up with the full schedule fairly soon post op. Not so much...

I'd suggest starting with ADEK and not necessarily in one sitting. Some vites can make you nauseous when you first start taking them. Once you are comfprtable taking ADEK, move on to Calcium. Not necessarily all those doses at once - start with one dose a day and build it up depending on how comfortable  you are feeling.  Then iron. This one can be tricky because it can nauseate you or it can hurt your tummy. You may need to start with iron once a week and build up gradually. Depends on how it makes you feel. I'd add the rest of the vites slowly after that, again going by how you feel.  At 5 weeks out I can do the entire schedule without any problems but like I said, I am a long time taker of vitamins.
  All the vets have moved to a site where there is no censorship and no biased, unfair moderation. If you want ACCURATE information, join us here:

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi
Sher Bear Mama
on 12/15/11 2:19 am
 I may need to go out and get my vites all over again then since they're all prepackaged i have no idea what each vitamin is. IT's just a handful of orange, a few yellow, etc.  Sounds like good advice though!
Sher--the bear mama

Valerie G.
on 12/15/11 2:15 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 I took my vitamins the day I got home from the hospital.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Larissa P.
on 12/15/11 2:16 am - Denton, TX
Start slowly. Take a one or two, the next day a few more, etc. Honestly, it's not as scary as it sounds. :)
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
teachmid
on 12/15/11 3:09 am - OKC, OK
I took my chewable multivits (that's what I already had) twice a day until about 4 weeks out then gradually worked into the Vitalady program,
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Sher Bear Mama
on 12/15/11 3:14 am
 Good suggestion.  Thanks.
Sher--the bear mama

scoob
on 12/15/11 3:21 am - Somerset, KY
I took a chewable multi for the first 3 weeks. Then I started adding A D E K through out the day. As time went by I slowly got up to a full schedule at about 6 weeks. It took a little longer for the iron. I had constipation(SP) from the get go. So I started with one iron and a C, for a week, then went up to two, the so on. I take 4 tender iron a day.

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

Julie B.
on 12/15/11 3:57 am - OH
It took me WEEKS (I am 6 weeks post op and still working up to them all) I was so nauseated and upchucking constantly there was no way. Dr. Maguire was not concerned, said we have stores and a few weeks is no big thing...but by 8 weeks we should be well on our way to getting all we need.

SW - 373 / CW - 179 / GW - 160

honeybadger 11
on 12/15/11 7:32 am - FL
I started with my chewable multi and opening the calcium caps and dissolving them in water. Then i started adding in my A,D,K. E bigger and i worked up to it.

i didnt start my Iron and the rest of the vites til 3wks out. Iron was very slow. Its kinda hard on the tum and gave me acid poos for the first few days. I started w 2 (they already have C in them) and added another every few days til i got up to the 5 pills:) If they really upset my belly i would back off 1 pill for a day or two.

I was taking the full schedule by 4 wks.

Im on the Vitalady schedule so i will tell you what my vite looks like:

A- small cap yellowish inside

D- medium cap white inside

E - lg cap white inside

K- similar to A but white inside

Calcium - big blue

Magnesium - Big green and white

Multi- big tab speckled brown/white

Iron- big cap orange

B complex - big tab yellow

B12 - tiny red dissolvable tab

Folic acid- tiny yellow dissolvable tab

I dont take her B1, zinc or copper so those would be the only things i cant ID. I would save in a ziploc any vites you arent taking and use them when you are done with your packets:)

I was taking 17 vites before surgery and thought this would be no problem but thats not so. They smell, some of them are big but they do go down:) Just go at your own pace.

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 82 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 82 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 642 views