Starting new foods-sequence?

Sher Bear Mama
on 12/15/11 10:51 am
 Just curious...i haven't been given ANY advice on what sequence to start foods in by my doctor or by his NUT.  The only info they have is from the RNY or Sleeve.  So, I've been talking to one of my DS friends here for her advice and I thought I'd poke around to see how YOU started eating.

I began on apple sauce, graduated to Greek yogurt (high protein), then to an egg.  Today I actually got HUNGRY and dared to eat a small bite of cheese (well chewed) and a few small bites of turkey (also VERY well chewed).  I noticed that the turkey and cheese just seemed to sit in my gut until I took a good walk around to get my system going.  

Will you all chime in on when you started eating foods that actually required a little chewing?  I'll stay on the soft foods like yogurt and soup as long as I have to but I'd love a sort of time-line.

S
Sher--the bear mama

honeybadger 11
on 12/15/11 11:05 am - FL
I was on "liquidy" foods for 2 weeks (dr want 3 weeks but i was ready to move on) I started at week 2 adding very soft items like refried beans with avocado topped with greek yogurt. Egg salad with mayo and mustard. I did that for 2 weeks before i moved into more solid soft foods.

Its weird that he didnt give you any kind of time line but i know others that were allowed to eat whatever they could tolerate right out of the hospital. I was pleased to follow my drs schedule (shortened a little:) because i felt that how my body progressed. I had some soft chicken at 2.5 weeks and it sat for while like you mentioned so i stuck with my soft foods. 

Good luck and i would just keep doing what your doing and chew well:)

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

Its a Secret
on 12/15/11 11:27 am, edited 2/10/12 12:59 am
Removed because OH has chosen to share my posts, upload, journey etc. on Facebook without my permission. Moderation that is unfair and prejudicial.

Its a Secret
on 12/15/11 11:30 am, edited 2/10/12 12:59 am
IRemoved because OH has chosen to share my posts, upload, journey etc. on Facebook without my permission. Moderation that is unfair and prejudicial.

Sher Bear Mama
on 12/15/11 11:33 am
 Thanks for the feedback.  I'm just a week and a half out!

Sheri
Sher--the bear mama

DianaRR
on 12/15/11 12:02 pm - CA
Some proteins and fats are harder to digest.
I can't comfortably eat bacon without my stomach feeling like a rock for a few hours.
I still have more trouble with chicken and turkey than with beef. Very soft cooked eggs are ok, but scrambled eggs are harder.
It helps if the protein is juicy. Dry turkey is harder to stomach.
I hope you feel better soon.

Sher Bear Mama
on 12/15/11 1:04 pm
 Thanks! Good points!

S
Sher--the bear mama

beemerbeeper
on 12/15/11 12:49 pm - AL
I would try to stay on mushies for at least another week and a half.  Better safe than sorry.

I ate cheese dip and protein shakes and soup for about 3 weeks and then moved to things like mush chicken salad at about 3 weeks.  Greek yougurt is a good choice IMO.

I don't think I ate cheese or meat for a week after that probably.

Listen to your gut.  It wasn't ready for the cheese and turkey today.

~Becky

Sher Bear Mama
on 12/15/11 1:02 pm
 Thanks for the advice Becky.  I finally got hungry for dinner a bit ago and had some mashed potatoes.  Again, it sat really heavy (and I only had a few bites) but I think I'm still paying for the chees and turkey from earlier.  I'm thinking that tomorrow I'll send my husband out for some mushy soups like vegetable or stew--as long as it's really, really cooked I can't imagine it would be too bad.  But i'll definitely listen to my body.  I know that bookfaerie told me that when she came out of the hospital she had chili and mashed potatoes for quite some time because it was all that she could tollerate.  I'm totally freaked out about trying ANY sort of chilli--my instinct tells me it'll be too harsh on my new tummy.  But the soup sounds soothing.  I might give the shakes a try again tomorrow.  At least there are some vites in them and as I haven't started my vites yet it couldn't hurt.

Thanks again!

Sheri
Sher--the bear mama

happydsr
on 12/15/11 2:12 pm
Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 41 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 41 views
calcium/protein