To someone considering weight loss surgery, what do YOU tell them? Also-what happened?...

Mommy2006
on 12/21/11 2:13 am
One of my oldest friends is considering WLS. I've told her what for me are the basics, especially when considering which surgery to choose and quality of life after surgery. Just wondered what others might say. I'm sending her an email now with links and such.

Also-what happened to the boards? :D This is a hard time of year for me as my daughter has allergies and asthma that go haywire around this time, but wow - apparently I missed out on big things.

Mommy2006
on 12/21/11 2:20 am
Oh and she's in Illinois, so Alverdy or Prachand? The only vetted ones are in Chicago? Although hey, better than having none nearby.

larra
on 12/21/11 2:35 am - bay area, CA
The best resource would be dsfacts.com.

Yes, a lot happened. There is a new website/forum that you might find helpful. I will send you a pm.

Larra
k9ophile
on 12/21/11 3:04 am
She needs to spend hours and hours in research of all types of WLS.  Some of the most useful sites for me as a pre-op were the physician's sites.  Many have the patient care handbooks and that was very valuable for me.  I also found several scientific articles backed with facts.

I just went through this with a friend of mine.  I realized the choice was ultimately hers and there were times I had a hard time accepting that.  She did make it easier for me because she's feels the same way I do about the lap band:  no way.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

Lisa A.
on 12/21/11 3:08 am - Windsor, NY
I think you also have to be honest with her and tell her what could go wrong also. Her quality of life might not be any better after surgery if things don't go well for her.

Not trying to be a downer, but when I am doing fine now but before surgery I read everything and sat on it for a few years. I just wanted honesty and I didn't find out about this website until late in the game so I was relying on someone I knew that had the surgery a few years ago.

What she neglected to tell me (left out on purpose) is how sick she was after. How she was throwing up and couldn't eat or drink, etc.. this really might have made me think twice and as you have seen on these boards not everyone has a happy ending. I suffered for 6 months after surgery.

After you tell her the good and bad and she researches - it's up to her in the end. Its everyones personal decision. Most people go forward becuase we never think this could happen to us.

fullhousemom
on 12/21/11 3:26 am
I don't know how much your friend is overweight, but I am pretty partial to the DS.  I looked into Optifast, the Band, and the RYN.  None of them had good long term results.   I have also had friends and acquaintances do each, and none of them have been happy with their long term results.  Happy in the short run?  YES!  Happy in two years?  No.  Surgery should be considered as the last resort for weight loss AND it only makes sense to hope that ONE surgery will be enough.  The risks of a second surgery are pretty great, as have been posted this week on this board.

If I had a friend who was seriously considering one of the other surgeries, I would do my darnedest to talk him/her out of it.

That said, you can't do the DS without the commitment to your health/vitamins afterwards. 

Good luck to you and your friend!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 252 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 735 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views