Cruising along! 13 mos out and PW'ing

DarcyMad
on 12/22/11 12:01 am - Cedar Park, TX
Hey folks!

While I'm a lurker and reader most of the time, I do post now and then and am trying to keep up with all the drama (understatement!) that's been happening on the boards lately.  I, too, have moved over to the other board to maintain my education from the vets.  I will, however, continue to post here so that the newbies can learn from me...although, I don't consider myself a "vet" by any means!

My journey started in July 2010 when I learned my new health plan covered WLS.  I started off thinking LapBand because I had about 75 lbs I wanted to lose.  I was a 'lightweight' and in that 35-40 BMI range.  I did have some co-morbs.  I suggest anyone who is thinking of WLS and is a lightweight without too many co-morbs - get tested for sleep apnea.  My guess is that most of you have it!

Someone recommended this website to me and, wow, once I got here I quickly found out about the DS.  Once I started studying up on the surgery, the lightbulb went off in my head and I never looked back!  Type II diabetes runs rampant in my family and my mom suffered renal failure and transplant as a result.  I did not want to go down that path!  I moved from one surgeon to another based on experience and operating time, went through all the insurance hoops and ended up having my DS in November 2010.

I have been fortunate.  Recovery was a breeze and I was back to work after 10 days!  Yes, I was tired and felt like ass now and then, but I did it.  I muddled my way through the first few months, asked tons of questions, experimented with lots of foods, went through the buyer's remorse, depression, etc. but came out fine on the other end.  Time didn't move fast enough in the beginning and now its just flown.

As of now, I'm 13 mos out.  I've lost 116 lbs and have surpassed my self-imposed goal of 140 lbs.  I started out at 251 and am now 135.  I wear a size 8/9 depending on the brand and Med tops.  I was a size 20 and XXL!  I have gotten to the point where I've added back in some carbs but after I've concentrated on getting my protein in.  I use a protein shake when necessary.  My common channel is 125cm.  I take my vites but am not following vitalady's plan.  I have tweaked things as necessary based on my labs, which have never been skewed too far from normal.  Call me lucky at this point!  Vites and labs vary SO much from person to person.

Here are some before and afters...more on my profile!
Ugh... October 2010

October 2011 (amazing the difference a year and the DS can make!)

Face - huge change there!
DarcyMad
Surgery Date:  11/15/2010
Jewel506 is my Angel!    Angel to Kristi (Momx4)
Anything that is, or was, began as a dream - Lavagirl 

* Gail R *
on 12/22/11 1:12 am - SF Bay Area, CA
Thank you for posting. You look fantastic and must be feeling great! It just keeps getting easier for me and I hope the same goes for you. Congratulations on your decision.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

Amanda-DS
on 12/22/11 1:19 am
you are doing great !!!

keep up the great work
Gratitude is my attitude

Amanda-DS October 2001
highest >350/342 start of wls journey/ 192 @8years

fullhousemom
on 12/22/11 4:27 am
 Amazing!  You look wonderful!
Sher Bear Mama
on 12/22/11 4:55 am
Fabulous!!!! You must feel great!
Larissa P.
on 12/22/11 5:23 am - Denton, TX
Look fantastic!

If you don't follow vitalady's plan, can I ask what do you take? Curious.
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
Jody W.
on 12/22/11 5:33 am - Windsor, CT
Wahooo!!! GURL!!!

Original LapBand Surgery - 07/26/06- DS Surgery - 08/16/2011
 HW/LW/SW/CW/GW
289/195/277.5/242.5/170

momx4
on 12/22/11 6:41 am - TX
Congrats to my angel!! U inspire me
teachmid
on 12/22/11 7:58 am - OKC, OK
Fabulous!!!!
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

BeagleMama
on 12/22/11 9:52 am
Miss Darcy - You are stunning! Absolutely gorgeous, and you look very happy! Good job!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 260 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 247 views