Home now/Lap Band to DS revision

Divine_Ambrosia
on 1/4/12 11:31 am - Cary, NC
I wish I could say how easy and great things have been going but I can't.

I had surgery on Dec. 20th - about 13 hours out I had this horrible pain in my abdomen, like someone was pouring fire into my gut.  There was also a lot of pressure.  Once the on duty surgergon made it into my room, I as almost hysterical with pain.  I demanded they remove my cathatar but that did not help at all, the pain just kepp pouring through my gut.  

I had no temp at the time, my white blood cell count was not abnormal, the only thing they couldn't understand was that my pulse rate was sky rocketing and nothing they could give me could get it to go down.  So they upped pain meds, started giving me anti anxiety meds and another day and a half goes by and I start thinking I'm ok.  Dr. Sudan is away on vactaion.  Then his assistant shows up and says, "You're going to the OR."I flipped out, panicked even worse.  So on the 22ndish I had emergency surgery for a suture rupture at the bowel/stomach line.  The next 8 days or so are pretty mucha blurr.  I was placed in the CCU unit while trying to recover.  It has been an extremely painful and terrifying event for me.

Today I've been sent home.  I have been extremely emotional all day.  Mostly in pain (they sent me home with neasuea, pain and anti acid meds).  I'm terrified something is going to happen to me.  I'm completely exhausted, I'm trying hard but I know I'm not getting in enough liquids, forget about protien which just makes me want to puke.

I know this is a lot of whining and people don't like the whiners, but here I am.  Scared, feeling alone and a terrified I'm going to do something wrong.  Am I just having worse problems because I was in the hospital so much longer with complications?  I keep reading the "Everything is awesome" posts and its giving me the blues (not that I don't wish each of you well!).

Anyway - just getting some of this off my chest.

Ash
DivineAmbrosia

*Ash*
Lap Band Originally - May 2004
Lap Band to DS Revision Approved! Surgeon will be Dr. Sudan @ Duke.

fullhousemom
on 1/4/12 11:47 am
 Whine away!  You need support!  I am so sorry you have had such a rough time. Rest rest rest. And sip sip sip. Get up and walk around on occasion. You have been thru so much. Hopefully a few days at home will help your recovery better than a hospital bed. Keep us updated. I am sorry I dont have a magic pill or words of wisdom to take all your pain away. 
k9ophile
on 1/4/12 11:56 am
You're not whining, sweets, you've had a hard time!  We're all different.  I didn't have any complications, but my recovery was less than ideal.  Reading about others who made it work gave me hope, yet it sure was miserable going through those first few weeks.  Time has a way of dimming the bad memories so the details are fuzzy...  Thank God!

Those who "don't like whiners" can scroll right past your post.  I am currently without a critter in my life to swing for you, so I'll just think good thoughts without making anyone dizzy.

You can PM me to vent if you just want to cyber scream.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

Fade2Pink
on 1/4/12 12:20 pm - Salt Lake City, UT
Oh, Ash, I am so sorry that you've had such a rough time of it.  That plain out sucks.  I hope that your healing can truly begin now that your home.  Keep your focus on hyrdation right now.  You can work on protein in a few days or weeks.  Hang in there.  I hope that soon this part of your surgery will be a distant memory.
Duodenal Switch 4/29/09
Loving my DS!!

* Gail R *
on 1/4/12 1:37 pm - SF Bay Area, CA
You had horrible luck all around. An emergancy with your doctor away. I am so glad that you are on the mend. Remember that it should get better every day. By a month out it will be OK. Whine away you've been through the ringer!

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

orangecrushed
on 1/4/12 2:07 pm - Triad, NC
I've been wondering how you are doing, and I'm so very glad to hear that you are now home!  I know that you've had a very tough time of it.   No one here is going to say you're whining, that's for sure!

I can empathize with you on being scared that something will happen while you're at home.  Just try to get as much rest as you can, and drink as much as you can.  If you get dehydrated, you're going to feel even worse.  Just focus on these two things, and as the days pass, it will gradually get better.

Please keep us all updated.  Check my signature line if you'd like to get quicker/more responses.

Take care,
Nic
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Join me here: weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/

MajorMom
on 1/4/12 7:08 pm - VA
You've been through the wringer and couple of times. No shame in whining. Feel better soon. Take it as easy as you can. Hydration first and foremost.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 1/4/12 11:27 pm, edited 1/4/12 11:32 pm

I was just revised from an RNY to a DS on Dec 15, 2011; my RNY was in May 2002, and I had complications back then, a second surgery 4 weeks later, all the problems were caused by a stitch popping that was holding down my intestine. I so understand all your feelings. Please don't think you're whining, you've been through a lot. You did the right thing to post to get some support. Going home from the hospital is very overwhelming, and so are your emotions, very normal after surgery, especially like ours, big hormonal release.  I had a complication free surgery this time, thankfully, but I still experienced all that anxiety when I was going to be released. Did you have insurance to cover your surgery? Do you still have your drains in? A feeding tube? If so, you could very well qualify for a home health care nurse. I'm single, live solo, so when I was in the hospital, I asked about getting one for my first couple of weeks home. I had one during my RNY experience and that's what reminded me to request, see if I would qualify. It was set up very quickly, it's worth checking into, call your surgeon. Helped me to have some moral support, as well as medical, someone to change my dressings, check on me.

In the meantime, breathe, take it one day at a time. Your experience will be unique to you. We benefit from reading other's experiences, but don't compare yourself, in recovery, weight loss. Right now, focus on your recovery. Try your best to especially keep yourself hydrated. You can do it, you just have to sip slowly, and be in constant sipping motion. If the cold temp of the water hurts, drink it room temp. Nausea, funny taste in your mouth, all normal. There are also some protein alternatives to shakes, like protein bullets, Amino2222, which you can get at GNC or order online. Forewarning - the stuff tastes nasty, but you can hold your nose and down it like cough medicine :-) A back up to water if you really need it can be decaf tea, Crystal Light. But try to do water, it's best for healing. The protein intake will come, don't fret. Take care, update on how you're doing. 

calendargirl
on 1/4/12 11:31 pm - Land of Oz, KS
DS on 04/20/12
Thinking of you and hoping things get better from here on out...

C-Girl

Starting Stats: Ht: 5' 0" HW: 242 ~ SW: 229.9 ~ CW: 117 ~ Goal: 124.9 ("normal" BMI)
% EWL @ 03 months: 36%             % EWL
 @ 09 months: 80%
% EWL @ 06 months: 63%             % EWL @ 12 months + 2 weeks: 100%

(deactivated member)
on 1/4/12 11:35 pm
I'm so sorry you're not feeling well and you had a rough start. But know that they corrected the issue and you are going to get better each day. Don't let the pain and the frustration take your resolve - you have to sip your fluids, walk as much as you can, and try to work in the protein when your body feels it's ready.

Praying for you!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 258 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 246 views